Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Videos won't play

Videos won't play

I had created a file using v2006 that involved playing videos (wmv files) and custom html items, and I was using Windows XP. We've acquired a computer with Microsoft Vista, and we are using v2008.1.20 of Medialab. I cannot get the video files to play at all, and the program freezes. Has anyone else had this problem? Any possible solutions? We'd like to start running subjects on Monday, January 14th, so quick replies would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Jennifer Cerully
    University of Pittsburgh

Fortunately, the transition from XP to Vista has been pretty smooth for MediaLab--with the exception of some of these video issues. We are aware of them but do not have a fix yet--at least not a direct one. However, if you can tell me exactly what you are doing with the videos, I might be able to offer some quick work around solutions so that you can get running your sessions ASAP.

Basically, I have an experiment where each condition consists of running four questionnaires. The first questionnaire contains a movie item, and the second contains a custom html item. I repeat this so the third questionnaire is a movie, and the fourth is a custom html item. The movie questionnaires consist of an instruction, followed by a movie item. The custom html questionnaires consist of a custom html item followed by an instruction. I've emailed the experiment file, and a sample movie questionnaire file and custom html questionnaire file to you at the support address. Let me know if you need anything else.

Try checking the 'Use Enhanced Video' option on the MediaLab Preferences menu. I was able to run your clips at full screen on Vista when I did this. Let me know if that helps!

That seems to work, although the videos are slightly misaligned on the screen (compared to when I run it on another computer).

For anyone else reading the thread, be aware that having the "use enhanced video" item checked may cause other files to run improperly.

[post truncated by moderator]
    Last edited by jarvis24; 01-17-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by files running improperly?

I know that I had a problem with one file in particular. We have a series of items that are basically multiple choice questions. For one question, we show students a jpg file of a series of numbers for 30 seconds. The next screen is supposed to ask them to select which numbers (out of a list of 12 numbers) appeared on the previous screen. One time when I ran this file, the number selection screen didn't appear after showing the numbers, and it appeared at the end of the file with our demographic information. I ran it again, but couldn't replicate the same error, but the computer completely froze on me somewhere in the middle. I think I ran it a third time and it froze at a different spot. Given that the error keeps changing, I'm not sure exactly what it is doing. However, as long as we run it with "use enhanced video" unchecked, that file works as usual.

Just to throw it out there, you always have the option of displaying video by embedding it within a PowerPoint show or a simple HTML page rather than using the MediaLab video functions. This can be the simplest solution in many cases.