Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Error message with custom htm question

Error message with custom htm question

I have Medialab Version 2008.1 and am having a problem with a custom item that I have created. I am using an htm file with dummy variables to ask a quesiton a la "myTextBox5.que" from the Sample5 folder. I have successfully used the same template for the first question that I ask using this template. However, the problem has arisen when I modfy the variable names for a subsequent question simply by adding a 2 after the variable name both in the question and in the corresponding htm file. When I do this, an error message pops up when the quesiton is viewed that says "An error has occurred in the script on this page" & then goes on to say "Object doens't supoprt this property or method".

It then gives you an opportunity to click yes or no to the question "Do you wish to continue running scripts on this page". If I click yes, you can then see the question and answer it AND the data actually get written to the excel sheet. So it appears that the page is working, but I don't want participants to see the error message. How do I fix this? I spent all weekend trying to fix it & I am not getting any results.

I'm guessing it's a syntax issue of somekind. Can you zip and attach your folder so I can try getting the same result here? If so, I can probably locate the problem.

I emailed the zip folder to the support email address. I didn't want to post my experiment publicly.

THank you for getting back to me!

Drove myself a little crazy with this one too. Think I just got it--try this and see if it also works for you.

In each of your custom html forms, you have the awseomely handy line:

<body onload="document.form.name.focus();">

This line causes the cursor to appear in the first of your multiple blanks--allowing the subject to start typing without having to click there with the mouse. The segment "name" refers to the variable name associated with the blank where you want the cursor to appear. This is where the syntax issue is happening. In your second form, you changed "name" to "name2" but you didn't change it in the line above. Consequently, it's generating a minor error because the variable "name" can't be found. Instead try:

<body onload="document.form.name2.focus();">

Let me know if that helps!
    Blair

Yay!

Fantastic - it worked! Thanks!