Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Skip to with Randomization

Skip to with Randomization

Hi--I am fairly familiar with medialab but am having a problem getting a skip to work in a certain order while also randomizing. Here is how I want it to work.

Participants see a photo and say if it is "new" or "old." If it is old then they should go to another screen that says if they "remember" or "know" the photo. If they say new then it should go to the next photo. I however want each photo to be randomly presented while keeping particular remember versus know response if they indicate "old".

I was playing with it all day yesterday using the RWG--the same number to each photo new or old response and none for the remember vs. know response. That didn't seem to work, and neither did RBG. I also tried with different numbers in a consecutive nature. I also tried adding a blank slide as a skip to if they indicated "new." That way there is always a skip to question after a new vs. old response. I thought this would help to randomize the photos then and again I was having problems. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Or how I can make this work? I should also note, I have other presentations that are in a random order. For example, in a first phase they view a set of photos presented randomly. In other words, I want to keep the order in which each phase is presented to be consistent and not interfer with prior random orders.
    thanks!
    Amanda
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-11-2007 at 12:59 PM.

What if you assign the first and second questions the same WGR values. And also assign them the same BGR values. As of v2006.1.31, you can indicate a skipto value like +1, +2 etc. indicating how many items to skip rather than a specific variable name.

MediaLab will automatically skip that many items without needing to know the name of a "skipto" variable--it will simply resume wherever it ends up. This is especially nice when the item being skipped to might be randomly determined.

So for the first of the two questions you could assign a +1 skipto value for the option which should skip them over the second question.

Does that help?