Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Continuous Background Sound

Continuous Background Sound

Hi,

I'm designing a new experiment where I need to play a music file continuously on one ear and have subjects perform an auditory identification task on the other ear. The auditory identification task involves subjects identifying a spoken vowel played along with babble.

In total, each trial has three sounds playing: the vowel + the babble on one ear (either right or left) + the music file playing continously for the entire experiment on the other ear.

I know how to program the vowel and babble into one trial and to play on one ear. However, is there a way to have the music file continously for the entire experiment. One method of course is to have windows media player play something in the background while the experiment continues in the front. But is there a way to do this from within DirectRT.

Thanks,

Anil.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-15-2007 at 04:36 PM.

I think I figured out one way to do the experiment. By using DirectRt and MediaLab together I can get the background sound to work while directRt continue in the front.

I do have one problem though, when I try to launch the Backsound in the same trial as the directRT file from within medialab then the backsound does not play. However, when I launch the backsound from a previous trial, there seems to be no problem. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Anil.

It may be that DirectRT, when requested as an item in MediaLab, can not accept a backsound. I think using it on the prior item may be the way to go. Perhaps use a duration parameter, assigning a (d1) value to have ML automatically advance after a second--just enough time to get the sound playing. You could also try (d0) to see if that works even better, but that sounds a bit like an invitation to a crash.

I tried d1 and it works well. d0 however, leads to something strange. The sound starts but the continue button also appears and the subjects has to press continue to move to the next trial which has directRT. I think I'll stick to d1.

Thanks,

Anil.

Thanks for the update!