Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Application error

Application error

I've been running MediaLab 2008 on several stand-alone computers, and often, when I try to start MediaLab, an application error occurs. The basic message appears, "MediaLab Research Software has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." After I click "Don't send" (because they do not have internet access), another dialog box appears that says the following:

MediaLab.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x04489f05" referenced memory at "0x00000030". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program.

Sometimes, after restarting the computer, this does not occur. But having to restart the computer several times, or if it does not cooperate at all on this particular day, is quite the hassle - any suggestions?

At what point, exactly, does the error occur--is it before the v2008 "splash screen" appears?

Yes, before the splash screen even appears.

You mentioned that these machines are not connected to the internet. Is that most or ALL? Is it possible to see if this error replicates on one that does have internet? Can you also give me a rough estaimte of:

1. the number of machines total
    2. the number of those on which this is happening
    3. the number of times, say out of 10, this tends to happen on a typical machine

You mentioned that these machines are not connected to the internet. Is that most or ALL? Is it possible to see if this error replicates on one that does have internet? Can you also give me a rough estaimte of:

3. the number of times, say out of 10, this tends to happen on a typical machine with

You mentioned that these machines are not connected to the internet. Is that most or ALL? Is it possible to see if this error replicates on one that does have internet? Can you also give me a rough estimate of:

3. the number of times, say out of 10, this tends to happen on a typical machine with this problem.

There are three machines, without internet access, upon which this problem has been occurring. Each time that the problem has occurred, I have had to restart the computer between 1 and 3 times before successfully starting MediaLab (so, roughly 1-3 times of 10 this problem occurs).

We have one other machine that does have internet access which I have been using to create experiments. I have never had this application problem on the internet-capable machine.