Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Why can I see my subliminal stimuli?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hmm. Is your style file located in the same folder as your input file? If so, can you confirm that the display setting is set to 800x600 when you click on Options? If so, try creating two new images in your stim folder--one 800x600 and the other 1024x768. Then try to display each using your current input file. Does the 1024x768 image fill the screen? Is there blank space surrounding the 800x600 image?

The style file was located in the same folder as my input file, and, using the method you proposed, I discovered the file was not being changed when I edited it through Edit > Edit Default Styles > Options in the DirectRT window. What I had to do was open up the style file directly from a Windows explorer window, and from there I was able to change the resoultion for the experiment, so now my display times for the experiment are lower. I am still seeing a flash on the screen, however, and have tried the fixes proposed here on the forum and in the help files, and I'm starting to think that I have reached the hardware limit of the system DirectRT is installed on, though I'm open to any other ideas.

The "default" styles file is the styles.drt file located in the main DirectRT folder. It is used when no style file is found in the folder that contains your input file. With regard to the flashing, it's entirely possible to "see" the flash of a 10ms display. What kind of display times are now being recorded in your log files?

When I was having the original problem, I did not realize that the folder which conained my input file also contained a style file. Modifying that file did fix my problem.
    The log file is currently showing display times of between 12 and 14ms. The refresh rate test function in DirectRT gives me a refresh time of 11.77ms at a resolution 800X600 and a refresh rate of 85 hertz (these are my display settings in windows as well).