Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Customer Reviews (case 22515)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Curtis Haugtvedt, Ohio State University

As researchers begin to appreciate the benefits of computer-based data collection, they are often faced with the tough decisions about how to go about getting software to match their needs. Writing one's own software programs is time consuming and often results in a less than optimal solution. 'Canned' computer programs exist but these often lack the flexibility needed for creative research designs. MediaLab offers an ideal solution. Straightforward and easy to follow instructions for basic experiments yet allowing the flexibility to integrate other software routines and more complex stimulus presentation and data collection should it be necessary or desirable. The program fits the needs of researchers because MediaLab was developed in collaboration with a wide range of active researchers.

Curtis Haugtvedt,
    Ohio State University

S. Christian Wheeler, Stanford University

MediaLab holds the potential to reshape the way social psychologists conduct research. With MediaLab, it is possible to present participants with involving manipulations including graphical arrays, Power Point shows, and even video clips. All of these can be seamlessly integrated into a single experiment. No doubt, the quality of the data is improved because participants are more engaged in the experimental procedures. MediaLab is great for researchers, too. Not only is it easy to create experiments, but it’s simple to run participants and integrate the data as well. In fact, because MediaLab automatically records the data on a spreadsheet, it’s possible to run 200 participants during the day and analyze the data that night. Also, because the entire administration is computerized, it’s possible for interested researchers to conduct replications of your work using your exact experimental procedures. You can post your experiments on the web or e-mail them to interested researchers. Simply put, MediaLab allows the researcher to obtain better data with less time and effort. It’s the next wave in psychological research.

S. Christian Wheeler,
    Stanford University

Ana Franco-Watkins, University of Maryland

I find the software (both MediaLab and DirectRT) to be extremely user friendly. The software has been instrumental in reducing the amount of time required to program complex experiments. Customer support is exceptional. Blair is strongly committed to producing a quality product that is both user friendly and readily meets the experimental needs of his clients.

Ana Franco-Watkins,
    University of Maryland

Antonio Luis Freitas, SUNY Stony Brook

I have found DirectRT to be a very useful tool for conducting experiments requiring the accurate assessment of response times. It is incredibly easy and intuitive to program, and it has been flexible enough to handle most of the experimental designs I've dreamed up. Moreover, the program's developer provides excellent product support.

Antonio Luis Freitas,
    State University of New York at Stony Brook

Ken Demaree, Ohio State University

Simply put, MediaLab makes experimental design easy. A researcher can design experiments with minimal computer experience and no programming knowledge. The program is extremely flexible as it is, and it is constantly growing and developing to add new features. Regardless of the type of stimulus materials, dependent measures, or experimental designs I've used, MediaLab has been up to the task. DirectRT, the reaction time tag-a-long program it also quite easy to use. The programming is very intuitive. Now that I've used it for a few studies, I can usually design something like a sequential priming measure or lexical decision task in under an hour. One of the greatest "features" is the support. Whenever I've had any problems, Blair has been quick to offer suggestions or to fix any problems. He also willingly takes (and solicits) suggestions for future improvements in the program, allowing the program to grow with the needs of those who use it. All-in-all, I've had nothing but good experiences with the program. I would strongly recommend this program to anyone doing experimental or questionnaire research in the social sciences.

Ken Demaree,
    Ohio State University

Celeste Alvaro, Simon Fraser University

Overall, I have been quite impressed with MediaLab. I have only had experience with one other software package for conducting experiments (xxxxxxxxx) and I have to say that MediaLab is a much more sophisticated software package and extremely user friendly.

Celeste Alvaro,
    Simon Fraser University

Jamie Barden, Howard University

I have been able to quickly and easily create a wide variety of priming procedures including IAT and Fazio evaluative priming procedure. My collaborators and I have run about 20 experiments using this paradigm and have obtained not only reliable patterns of moderation, but also substantial correlations (r = .5 range) between evaluative priming procedures and conscious attitude measures and motivation measures. This speaks well of the interface with DirectX in measuring precise presentation and response times. I think that if you are looking to dabble in priming methods, or if you have more complicated measures in mind, this is a great program, low investment in time, high return.

Jamie Barden,
    Howard University