Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: move questionnaire from old computer to new one

move questionnaire from old computer to new one

We have a study that we have already been running for a few years. We have Media Lab v2002.4 running our questionnaires on several Dell Inspiron 5100s.

We need to transfer our questionnaire to a couple of new laptops, Lenovo Think Pads. In the past when we have tried to load the questionnaire onto other computers, including Think Pads, it hasn't worked out. The skip patterns work but the graphics are completely different and, often, part of the question or answer isn't even on the screen. Fixing it (as far as we can tell) would require the tedious process of changing the parameters on each question and its answers.

Here are my questions:

1. Are we having trouble moving our questionnaires because of moving them to a computer with a more recent version of Media Lab or because of the properties of the new computer's graphics or both or neither?

2. If the problem is due to different versions of Media Lab, is it possible for me to download the old version of Media Lab for the new computers?

3. Any other suggestions for getting ML and our questionnaires on to the new computers?

Thanks,
    ap
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-08-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Just curious--what version are you running on the other computers (e.g., the thinkpads)?

First thing I would check is the screen resolution and system font size (small fonts vs large fonts). Both settings can be checked in the Windows Display Settings. If they are not the same, things can look somewhat different--especially if you are using any HTML. Also, v2006 started using a slightly different method for resolution indpendence.

On the Thinkpads we are using for another study, we use ML v.2006.1.4O. When we tried to move the ACASI to these computers, it didn't appear on the screen the way it needed to. We were missing answer options.

Now we have purchased new Lenovo Thinkpads for this study. I have not put ML on them yet since I don't know if the ML version is part of the problem. Is it possible to still get the 2002 version we are running on our old Dells.

As for screen resolution, the old Thinkpads and the Dells have the same resolution (1024x768). The new Thinkpads have 1280x800 resolution. The Dell DPI setting was 120; the Thinkpad's was 96DPI. Both font sizes were listed as normal.

Thanks for your help. And if you think we can go ahead and download the new ML version (it should work regardless of the ML version or the old version is no longer available), please let me know so that I can get started.

It's important to match the DPI settings and resolution if you want to get as close a match as possible. If you do want to try the 2002 version though, you can get all the old versions here:

www.empirisoft.com/download_old.aspx

still trouble

I downloaded the 2002 version of ML AND I changed the DPI settings and the resolution to match our other older computers. The ACASI still runs off the screen on the ThinkPad. The only thing I can think of to do is to go in and change the parameters of each question so that it appears correctly. If anyone has a simpler idea, please let me know.

Yeah, can't tell you. If the resolution and dpi are the same, and the version of ML is the same then that's pretty weird. The only other thing I would suggest to check are the font settings in the MediaLab Preferences--i.e., to make sure they are the same. After that, I can't imagine what the difference could be.

If prefereces check out, feel free to send me or attach a copy of the que file--I'll take a look at it here and see if I can tell what's up.