Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Allow P's to check a clock

Allow P's to check a clock

I am programming a time based task in which P's have to check a clock (press the 'z' key) to recognize which phase of the experiment they are in. How can I set up a clock that remains invisible until the participant decides to check it ('z')? After the clock appears, I want it to stay on screen for ~1 sec and then disappear until the next clock check.

Thanks

No easy way to do a live clock that can be viewed at any given moment. Maybe at a specific point in specified trials--e.g., where you can press a key to continue or press the z key to tell you how much time is left (or whatever). You could have the z key linked to a conditional jump event that displays how much time is left at that point. The jump could be set to last for 1 second at which time, the session would continue from where it left off. Does that help?

no help

I am sorry, but your reply was no help. I am investigating clock checking habits. Therefore, I am interested in how many times a participant will check the clock in a single experiment. I wonder if there may be a way to display a clock based on the participant response info that is reported to the participant after certain keystrokes. For example, the 'response' command will give the p's response back to him/her. Is there anyway to manipulate this into a function of the response time? Or, do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

G

Well that was blunt. Ok, no, DirectRT doesn't have a built in way to do this. Now with that official answer aside, you *could* make this happen but it would take a tiny bit of programming on your end. What I am picturing is a small VB program that updates a text file with the current time every few seconds, e.g., "time.txt" with the content "~12:52:13 PM". This program could run all day, independent of your experiment. You could then have DirectRT present this file as a stimulus at any given time. Voila--a live clock stimulus! If that's still no help, I know of nothing else to offer.