Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: trouble with video files

trouble with video files

In a study we are currently developing, we wish to include a video clip as a form of mood induction. For some reason, I can't seem to get MediaLab to play my video clip. When the experiment gets to this portion, a small white box pops up and no picture and no sound follows. (By the way, the video clips are saved in .wmv files... but I have also tried saving them as .avi files. Neither seem to work.) The rest of the experiment works fine. We just bought new computers in the lab and they all run on Windows Vista- could this be the problem? The only reason this comes to mind is because I can get MediaLab to play the video clips just fine on my laptop which runs on Windows XP. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

We've been hearing that MediaLab is having problems playing movies on some Vista systems. We are looking into this now but a quick fix would be to embed the movie in an HTML file and then present it as an HTML item (or optionally present that HTML as a background). Note that this approcah can be taken in any situation where MediaLab is having trouble playing your video(s).

If you paste the following into a text file, replace "test.mpg" with the name of your video, and then save the file as myvideo.htm (or whatever) you should be able to use it to show your video. This ought to work for wmv and mpg files. Not sure, off hand, if it would work for quicktime (.mov) files. Note that you could leave off the width and height info you just want it to play in it's normal size.

Code:
    <!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->
    <body bgcolor="#ccccff">
    <object type="video/x-ms-wmv" width="320" height="240">
      <param name="src" value="test.mpg"/>
      <param name="enableContextMenu" VALUE="0"/>
      <param name="windowlessvideo" value="1"/>
      <param name="showcontrols" value="0"/>
      <param name="autostart" value="1"/></object>
     </body>
    Also note that this method can be used to show a video that would allow subjects to pause and restart the video via the showcontrols parameter. Just change that value to "1".