Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Problem with 'Select and run a single questionnaire'

Problem with 'Select and run a single questionnaire'

[edited from support email]

I have been working with your medialab program for several years now and I recently encountered a problem that has never happened before. One of the undergraduate RAs in my lab tried conducting an interview in medialab and each time they selected the "run selected questionnaire" option, the program froze.

This does not seem to be a problem with our medialab program however, as we can run questionnaires by highlighting the file, right clicking, and then using the "open with" option. Do you have any ideas as to why this may be occurring?

Nope, never heard of this before either. Does the same thing happen if you try it with the self-esteem sample that MediaLab comes with? If not, then it may have something to do with this particular study. And in either case, does it replicate across computers? Could you also let me know what the exact file path is to the questionnaire file?

response to questions

Hello,

I am unable to run any questionnaires (or select any other options) through the drop down menu when I am logged in as an experimenter. Interestingly, when I use an administrative account, I don't seem to have any problems. I've tried giving the experimenter account full permission over the media lab program and even change the account into an administrative account, but the problem is still not resolved. We have run approximately 60 interviews on this computer without any problems, so it is not clear why this would happen out of the blue. We also have a similar set up on seven other computers and this is the only one that freezes anytime drop-down menu is used (file path for all computers: c:\ubafdp\parent\parent questionnaires\questionnaires\). We are under time constraints so although we would never figure out why this is happening, so I just reinstall the program?

Thanks

Can you tell me the contents of the following file:

C:\MediaLab\Ini\LastExp.ini

And then can you delete contents, save it, and try again?

trouble running medialab

The ini file has the following lines of data:

c:\ubafdp\parent\target caregiver questionnaire\questionnaires\target parent part v.exp
    c:\ubafdp\parent\target caregiver questionnaire\questionnaires\target parent part iv.exp
    c:\ubafdp\parent\target caregiver questionnaire\questionnaires\target parent part iii.exp
    c:\ubafdp\parent\target caregiver questionnaire\questionnaires\target parent part ii.exp
    c:\ubafdp\parent\target caregiver questionnaire\questionnaires\target parent part i.exp
    c:\ubafdp\parent training\target caregiver questionnaire\questionnaires\target parent part i.exp

Did deleting and saving the contents of that file have any impact?

No, even after deleting these files. The program freezes whenever I try to run an experiment or questionnaire file.

Well if it's just one machine out of a batch, next thing I would try is an uninstall/reinstall.

I just reinstalled the program and I am still having the same problem. Although I am not sure why it would be the case for just this machine, could have something to do with the fact that the program is being run from a 'limited access' account rather than an 'administrator' account?

Quite possible. The user needs full read/write access to the MediaLab folder.

See: http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=312

We originally had the limited account set up as having full permissions over the Medialab program and that did not seem to help. We were able to resolve the issue by creating a new account and running everything from the new account.

Thanks for your help.

That's great to hear, thanks for the update.