Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Randomize thought ratings

Randomize thought ratings

I'm designing a study in which 2 participants each write 4 statements about a topic, and then rate each others' statements. (I'm planning to have them swap computers/seats after writing their statements and rate the others'.)

I have 2 questions here:
    1) Can I randomize the order that those statements come up for the 2nd participant to rate?
    2) Can I actually have all 4 statements come up together? See, participants will be asked to write 2 sincere statements and 2 sarcastic ones, and the rater is supposed to guess the writer's intentions; it would be a different task to have all 4 statements side by side and ask which 2 are sincere and with 2 are sarcastic than to have 1 statement come up at a time and ask whether it's sarcastic or sincere and then go to the next one.

I know that one can put custom items into MediaLab, but unfortunately I have no programming experience...
    Thank you.

There is a posted sample here that you might be able to tweak to do this:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=707

And the followup post that shows the same thing but with the items shown back to the subject in a randomized order:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=871

Let me know if you have any luck/trouble with it.

This sample seems to be doing what I need in reverse order. Is there a way to have people fill in the blanks in a certain order, and then have their answers come back in random order for the ratings?

Apparently, "Thought Rating" pulls answers from "Thought Listing" and isn't pulling answers from "Custom Item", is there a way around that?

You see, what we're trying to do is have participants write 1 sincere statement and 1 sarcastic one for a friend as well as 1 sincere statement and 1 sarcastic one for a stranger. Then we're going to have these statements come back up for the friend to guess which ones are sincere and which ones are sarcastic; after that a stranger will do the same. We'd like to see whether the participant's intentions would be picked up by the friend and the stranger, or not.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 10-15-2007 at 05:24 PM.