Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Joystick Issue - DirectRT does not recognize joystick movement... (case 14228)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Joystick Issue - DirectRT does not recognize joystick movement... (case 14228)

Hello,

We have programed an input file that indicates that the appropriate response to a stimulus is either forward joystick movement or backward movement (244 and 248, respectively).

The executed program does not recognize the joystick movement (i.e., back or forth), but rather perceives the "point of view" button (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oyopis.svg.png - number 7 on the figure) as the joystick movement. That is, when you push the button forward, directRT records the input 244 and when you push the button backward, directRT records the input 248).

Is this a common problem (that hopefully comes with a simple solution)?
    Last edited by jason_reed; 04-30-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gh0strider18 View Post
    Hello,

We have programed an input file that indicates that the appropriate response to a stimulus is either forward joystick movement or backward movement (244 and 248, respectively).

The executed program does not recognize the joystick movement (i.e., back or forth), but rather perceives the "point of view" button (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oyopis.svg.png - number 7 on the figure) as the joystick movement. That is, when you push the button forward, directRT records the input 244 and when you push the button backward, directRT records the input 248).

Is this a common problem (that hopefully comes with a simple solution)?
    The assignment of buttons, etc, is something that is done by the hardware manufacturer. Different vendors may 'name' their buttons (in the very specific language required by USB) different ways. Unfortunately, this can't be changed by the customer.

Easy solution would be to just edit your input file to accept 244 / 248 as valid responses.

Software hackers could perhaps write a program which would bind to the USB joystick, receive the information, then re-transmit different codes. This would be a non-trivial exercise however.