Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Between-Group randomization of questionnaires in an experiment file (case 6333)

Between-Group randomization of questionnaires in an experiment file (case 6333)

Hi there, I'm trying to randomize the order in which 2 questionnaire files (IAT.que, and GNG.que) are presented in my experiment file, and it doesn't seem to be working. In my experiment file, I have IAT.que in position 2, and GNG.que in position 3, with both having BGR values of 1 (the rest of the files in the experiment have WGR and BGR values of 0). My problem is:
    When the GNG is presented first, it always skips over the IAT questionnaire to the next file in the experiment (i.e., doesn't present the IAT). However, when IAT is presented first, it works properly (i.e., after the IAT questionnaire, it moves on to the GNG questionnaire). I know randomization is usually used in questionnaire, not experiment files, but I really need to do this and theoretically, what I've done should work. Anyone have a solution? Thank you so much - I've been tearing my hair out over this! :-)
    Last edited by jason_reed; 01-07-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Hmmm . . .

You're right, that doesn't seem to be working as it should.

The first thing I would do is take a close look at the GNG.que, especially the skip-to fields. If a skip had been accidentally added or left in to the experiment, that might explain why you're seeing this behavior.

If it's not that, I'd recommend you attach the files in question. It always helps to try these things on a different computer, and another set of eyes glancing over the files might catch something.

I'd be happy to look at them today if you uploaded them.

use the RWG field instead

You should use the RWG field instead of the RBG. The primary difference is that using the RBG if you want to randomize groups of files and use RWG to randomize individual files.

So if these are the only two questionnaire files in your experiment file, then you will definitely want to use RWG for any randomization. If you wanted to randomize these two files and keep their relative position the same among any other questionnaire riles you are using in the experiment file, that would be the time to use RBG like you are now (while assigning the appropriate numbers to the other questionnaire files).

As an alternative, you could try combining all the individual items from the IAT and CNG files into a single questionnaire file. Assign all the IAT items one number in the RBG field of the questionnaire and all of the CNG files a different number in the RBG field. If you want to present the items in the IAT and CNG groups in the order you put them in this new single questionnaire file, just put a 0 in all the RWG fields of the new single questionnaire file; otherwise, assign all the IAT items one number in the RWG field of the questionnaire and all of the CNG files a different number in the RWG file. This would randomize the presentation of items within the IAT and CNG groups.

I hope this helps. Let me know if it works.

Good luck!

Psychboiler
    Last edited by jarvis; 03-26-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Update here - Psychboiler's suggestion of combining the IAT and GNG into one questionnaire, using different RGB values for each, seems to be the only way to get it working the way I want. I was doing it correctly before (using RBG in the exp file - since there were more que files than just the IAT and GNG in my experiment), but I couldn't get it to work. And User2000, the skip values all looked fine. So for now I'm going to go with combining them, as that seems to work. Thank you so much User2000 and Psychboiler for your assistance, it was much appreciated!
    Marie

Hi Marie,

Glad to hear that you got it to work! Please let us know if we can continue to be of service.

Psychboiler