Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: DirectRT error message

DirectRT error message

Everything runs like normal on DirectRT until a key is pressed for the last trial (same as previous trials that worked without problems). The screen seems frozen there and an error message says that technical issues were encountered during this session. please see TrackPerformance.txt. None of the data were not saved.

Below is what is said in TrackPerformance.txt. Can this be fixed? Thanks.

Subject 13, 2/26/2013, 3:51:38 PM, v2012.4.157, Initial Display: 1680x1050, 32-bit colour, 59hz or 16.95ms/screen
    Elapsed Time: 277926529ms, block 0, trial 0, stim 4, Error 445, Object doesn't support this action--may be a problem switching to the requested display settings (resolution and/or color depth), on line 440, during Init of Form DDFullScreen
    Subject 13, 2/26/2013, 3:51:41 PM, v2012.4.157, Session Display: 1680x1050, 32-bit colour, 59hz or 16.95ms/screen
    Subject 13, 2/26/2013, 3:51:55 PM, Finished. 1 Errors/Warnings.

Quote Originally Posted by yepapey View Post
    Everything runs like normal on DirectRT until a key is pressed for the last trial (same as previous trials that worked without problems). The screen seems frozen there and an error message says that technical issues were encountered during this session. please see TrackPerformance.txt. None of the data were not saved.

Below is what is said in TrackPerformance.txt. Can this be fixed? Thanks.

Subject 13, 2/26/2013, 3:51:38 PM, v2012.4.157, Initial Display: 1680x1050, 32-bit colour, 59hz or 16.95ms/screen
    Elapsed Time: 277926529ms, block 0, trial 0, stim 4, Error 445, Object doesn't support this action--may be a problem switching to the requested display settings (resolution and/or color depth), on line 440, during Init of Form DDFullScreen
    Subject 13, 2/26/2013, 3:51:41 PM, v2012.4.157, Session Display: 1680x1050, 32-bit colour, 59hz or 16.95ms/screen
    Subject 13, 2/26/2013, 3:51:55 PM, Finished. 1 Errors/Warnings.
    Hi. The clue into this problem is "Object doesn't support this action--may be a problem switching to the requested display settings (resolution and/or color depth), on line 440, during Init of Form DDFullScreen"

Will gladly look into; need more info than the above. Can you send your csv and style file (if the latter is custom)? Send files to me in email if you prefer not to post it on the group.

And, when you stated "None of the data were not saved." means that all of the data were saved, correct?

Thanks a lot. I'd like to send you those files but can't find your email address. Could you let me know it? Mine is yepapey@gmail.com

I meant no data were saved. Because the program was killed as error message showed.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the message. I tried to reach you by email several times but the strange thing was that everything I got a returned mail message. So I have attached the files here.

When you run "IAT culture shock v2 test.csv" in DirectRT, the error message will show up for the fifth trial and nothing will be saved. I tried running more or fewer trials using the same design and same thing occurred when getting to the last trial.

Really appreciate your help with this and please let me know if you figure something out.

Best,
    Shu
    Last edited by yepapey; 03-07-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the message. I tried to reach you by email several times but the strange thing was that everything I got a returned mail message. So I have attached the files here.

When you run "IAT culture shock v2 test.csv" in DirectRT, the error message will show up for the fifth trial and nothing will be saved. I tried running more or fewer trials using the same design and same thing occurred when getting to the last trial.

Really appreciate your help with this and please let me know if you figure something out.

Best,
    Shu
    Thanks for including more information. Need to look into my account settings here, email and file sharing. nonetheless...

I replicated your error message by leaving everything just as you had sent it.

Then, I lowered the resolution settings in the Style file options, from 1024x764 to 1024x600, and I ran through the entire experiment without RT throwing the message at the end, or at all.

However, even though the message disappeared after changing the resolution setting, RT creates participant data files but does not save any data. This suggests a problem that is independent from the error message issue.
    I'll keep looking...

Did you mean you change the screen size setting to 1024X600 after clicking the "Option" button in the DirectRT Styles exe file? I didn't see these numbers in the drop down list so I entered it manually. But still the same error message showed at the end of running an input file... Could you confirm this was what you did on your computer to make the error message go away or am I missing something? Thanks!

Also do I need to change the resolution of my monitor display? The lowest option for my monitor is 1024x768 and it can't go lower...

Two different issues here

Did you mean you change the screen size setting to 1024X600 after clicking the "Option" button in the DirectRT Styles exe file? I didn't see these numbers in the drop down list so I entered it manually. But still the same error message showed at the end of running an input file... Could you confirm this was what you did on your computer to make the error message go away or am I missing something? Thanks!

Also do I need to change the resolution of my monitor display? The lowest option for my monitor is 1024x768 and it can't go lower...
    Hi Shu.

There are at least two different issues concerning your initial post.

One issue is the message that appears at the final screen. To get rid of it, I removed the "styles.exe" from your experiment's folder, and then I edited the "styles.drt" > Options > Screen size to 1024x600, and also tried 800x600. Lowering the resolution settings via styles.drt made the message stop appearing. You don't have to change your monitor's settings.

A second issue is that no data are saved from screen to screen, and this appears to be unrelated to the message appearing or not. The experiment file that you had included was incomplete for an IAT, and are expected to not save any data.

Perhaps build the rest of your experiment by using the IAT samples in the DirectRT folder as a guide, e.g.

C:\DirectRT\Samples\5 - other features\14 IAT-Practice
    C:\DirectRT\Samples\5 - other features\15 IAT-Race

Even though the examples do not show two images side by side, as your experiment does, the basic framework for including all of the trials is there for you to adapt. I am glad to help you, if needed, moving forward.

I agree that the two issues are unrelated. I actually was able to save data using the lab computers after changing some parameters to my files so that is settled. But I still got the error message after modeling your steps using my home desktop, so maybe there is something uniquely problematic with my home monitor...

Big thanks again for all your help.

I finally solved the error message myth. There are two styles files in the folder of my study files, and it turns out I was editing the wrong style file before... Now everything is working well. Thanks again for your help!

Glad to hear it!

Thanks, @tim, for your help.

John