Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Custom item HTML textarea data not saving (case 3936)

Custom item HTML textarea data not saving (case 3936)

Hi,

I am using Custom item for a HTML simulated chat and need to save subject typed responses from the textarea boxes. Medialab does not save the typed responses; it only saves 'ok' for each page. Here are the main steps I have tried for ameliorating the problem:

- verified that the form tags in the HTML page appropriately include both the textarea and the submit button

- verified that the names within the form do not use reserved word 'submit' and that the names and ids are unique for the textarea and submit button

- verified that the textarea name matches exactly the variable name in the Medialab questionnaire

- verified that the method for the form is post

- if I also select the WriteRT for the variable in the Medialab questionnaire, then the reaction time does record, but not the typed responses

- In the javascripts, I use the id for the textarea to specify the look and functionality of the textarea. When I change/remove the id, the textarea data does actually save, but of course, this disrupts the javascript specifications for the textarea.

Ideas on the source of the problem? Or for resolving it?
    Suggestions for other methods of saving the textarea responses?

Your feedback would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by jason_reed; 09-22-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Hi,

Looking through what you wrote, you may have pinpointed your own problem. It sounds like this is happening with the javascripts and the id if you can eliminate the problem by removing this feature. Of course, that doesn't help when you need this feature to make things look as they should.

One problem I ran into recently was the actual location of my js folder. Where are all of your folders/files located? All in the same place? Any nested inside each other? It may be a long shot, but it might be a place to start.