Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: windows 7 overflow error (#6) directRT 2008 (case 2429)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

windows 7 overflow error (#6) directRT 2008 (case 2429)

[edited by moderator]

hi all

[...] when i try to run an input file i get error #6: overflow.
    i'm running a windows 7 lenovo thinkpad with intel graphics card..
    i don't have the budget to upgrade to 2010, even if it helps.
    i've installed using drt2010.2.103.exe and checked 'install v2008'

things i've already tried:

1. dxdiag. output says hardware acceleration and everything is enabled. i've reinstalled directX, still no change
    2. ive checked the registery entry as suggested here, to no avail. the value was already at 7 as suggested.
    3. checked the resolution in the default styler. set both my screen resolution and the default style resolution to 800x600, didn't work
    4. changing refresh rate from 60hz to 50hz and back again (these are my 2 options)
    5. tried winXP compatability mode
    6. bashing the screen repeatedly

any ideas?
    thanks in advance
    dori
    Last edited by jason_reed; 07-02-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Hi Dori,

This has been fixed in v2012. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any plans to back-port the changes to the older software versions.

Just to be curious, I'd suggest installing a trial version of v2012 on your machine, to see if the problem is fixed. The trial version is fully functional, just time limited.

John

Same problem with DirectRT 2010.3 on Windows 7

[edited by moderator]

I am runnning Direct RT 2010.3 on a 2012 iMac runnning Windows 7 64-bit through bootcamp. I too am getting the intermittent "error #6" when runnning DirectRT. The same program runs flawlessly on 2007 iMacs running 32-bit Windows XP through bootcamp. I understand that:
    This has been fixed in v2012. Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any plans to back-port the changes to the older software versions.
    [...] I have tried the registry key solution here but the "Timeout" value was already at 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by jarvis; 01-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.

DirectRT v2012 generally runs fine on Windows 7. There were a great many changes that occurred in the process of achieving v2012/Windows 7 compatibility. This compatibility is probably the primary benefit in upgrading from v2008 or v2010. There is, though, one alternative for some users if upgrading is not desired or possible at this time. In many cases the overflow error is caused by an interaction between the older versions of DirectRT, certain makes of video hardware (especially Radeon HD display cards or some models of integrated Intel graphics chips) and sometimes with this all being more probable Dell Optiplex systems.

Without upgrading from v2010, the quick hardware solution for this issue is to replace the display hardware or use a different (either older or newer) driver. Switching a machine to an nVidia graphics cards will often fix this issue. And if you are using 2008.2 or 2010.2, be sure to try 2010.3! You can also talk to sales about getting a discount on the upgrade if funds are unavailable. I know OS compatibility is not the most exotic reason in the world to upgrade, but the work that went into v2012 really did make it a substantially different release from its earlier counterparts.

Just also wanted address

The same program runs flawlessly on 2007 iMacs running 32-bit Windows XP through bootcamp
    If the same experiment runs perfectly on one system but causes an overflow on another--using SAME version of DirectRT, then the FIRST thing to look at is the video card. Depending on the year and model, some Macs come with nVidia cards, and others with ATI Radeon HD Cards. Take a look and check the video cards on the older XP vs newer Windows 7 machines. Again, an upgrade would fix it if this is the issue, or a video card swap would also likely fix it too. In fact we had this SAME issue here last year when we couldn't figure out why v2010 ran fine on one of our iMac but not on our MacBook Pro--both running Windows 7 on Bootcamp. Turned out that the MacBook Pro had an ATI Radeon Card and the iMac had an nVidia card. That was it.