Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Ranking items in MediaLab (case 1678)

Ranking items in MediaLab (case 1678)

How do I set up a ranking for 14 items with actual ranking for only 3 items? So there are 14 choices but the respondent can rank only three?

I don't believe there is a way to constrain like that. Aside from instructions, perhaps, to select three of the fourteen items. Although I think you will hit a 12 item limit if I recall correctly. You could also try this with a multiple response item (see users guide). Again, you'd be limited to 12, but by using the parameters (p12,r1-3), the latter range parameter would force the subject into selecting between 1 and 3 of the alternatives. Then using the variable names from the data file, you might be able to work out some kind of ranking procedure for just those three items that are selected.
    Last edited by jarvis; 09-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Specifying a specific date in a multiple response

Thanks for your answer. I will try to set something like that up. I have another question. I'm trying to get a specific response in a multiple response question. The response is Yes and then I want to specify it by writing in the date. I know I can use <specify> but how do I specify that I want a date. In the manual, I can specify with fill-in-blanks where I can use (m***) but how can I do that for a multiple response? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

You can't specify a format for the open ended <specify> response option. However, you could check out the Advanced Features in MediaLab (see the User's Guide).

e.g., You could set up a complex skip for the multiple response item where answering the date type question sends you to a fill in the blank item that DOES restrict the formatting.

(Note that Multiple response items need to do skips via the Advanced Features. If you can do it with a Scale Response item instead, then it would be even simpler--as the scale item type allows you to set up simple skip patterns via the "skipto" option.)

Medialab platforms

Hello,

I want to run medialab on an ipad. Is this possible or do I need a tablet with full ms office suite? Thanks.

No iPad apps yet but certainly something we've got in mind. For now tho, yes, PC tablets will generally do the job just fine. I would recommend testing any given model tho before purchasing in mass.