Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Space Bar and Response Choice Keys

Space Bar and Response Choice Keys

Is it possible to require participants to press the space bar after choosing a response in order to move onto the next question rather than automatically moving onto the next question right after a response choice is chosen?

Is it also possible to use the 5, 6, 7, & 8 keys to represent the 1, 2, 3, & 4 response choices?

Jillian--

See if this helps:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=254

As far as using 5-8 keys for the 1-4 responses, there is not a key mapping feature like this yet. There are some workarounds--depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Is it that 1-4 are not necessary in this case? If so--would it work if you had the options 5-8 visible and the options 1-4 not visible (e.g., using a (p8) parameter)? If so, you could simply move the 1-4 buttons off screen so they wouldn't be seen.

e.g., see:

http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...textlabels.htm

To locate the 1-4 buttons so the could not be seen, you could use some pixel values that would send them off the screen completely--leaving the appearance that only 5-8 and valid responses. e.g, for the button 1-4 text labels, just enter (t3000) . Does that make sense?

Jillian--I noticed you had one other question in one of your support emails:

Is it possible to make the 6, 7, 8, and 9 keys as the inputs for the 1, 2, 3 and 4 answer choices? Also, is it possible for the F5 to F11 keys to be the inputs for the scale -3 to 3? If so, how do I make this possible?
    Yes, you could do this using the same principle outlined above. Using a scale response or multiple response item with a parameter value of (p11) and move the first four buttons off screen using a (t3000) parameter for them in their text label field. For the others, you can use whatever text label you like and you could enter button labels of "-3", "-2" ... "2", "3" respectively for options 5-11. In this case, you could have subjects use the f5 to f11 keys no problem. Note that the values written to the data file though will be 5-11, not -3 to +3. You can either recode during your analysis, or you could have MediaLab recode the values (e.g., such that 5 would be written as "-3" in the data file. Usually I recommend doing ALL recoding later on in your analysis syntax. But that's just to be extra safe. Note also that some people like to put little stickers on the function"F-keys" such as "-3", "-2" and such since there are obviously no negative keys on the board.

Hope that helps,
    Blair

Regarding the control of blank instruction screens, it requires integer values for the time, e.g., (d1)--that may be why the trouble is occurring. If the point is to create a visual break between the questions, you might find the onset (o) parameter to be useful. You can use this to delay the question wording on any given item, and you can specify the value in milliseconds.

See: http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...ters.htm#onset