Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Having trouble with making complicated skip work

Having trouble with making complicated skip work

I am using v2010 and am programming a rather large survey to be used in a research study. All participants will receive same survey. There are about 6 complicated skips, all of which are working except one. I cannot figure out what the problem is. If participants answer No to a particular question (question L30), they are to skip the next section of the survey (section M) and go to section N. If they answer Yes to question L30, they go to M and then N. This should be very simple but the program is not working. Please help!!!!

Thanks!

Are your skips all defined within the .que files or are you also using a responses.xls file (i.e., from MediaLab's Advanced Features)? In either case, are all the skips that that WORK located fully within any given questionnaire--i.e., they skip from and to a place within the same que file. Does the one that doesn't work skip from one que file to some point within another? In your case, I guess that would translate as--is section N in the same que file as L30? Finally, what version of MediaLab are you using? i.e., 200x.x.x?

I've tried defining the skips both ways and neither are working. The skips that are working skip to/from some point within the same que file and also I have a few that skip within one file to another. I feel like I have a handle on how to program but for some reason this particular one wasn't working. Given our tight timeline on creating the survey, we ended up just disgarding the skip that wasn't working and revising our line of questions. If you have any thoughts to what might have been the issue, I would love to know even though we ended up changing our questions. Thanks!

Would depend on the version of MediaLab but some older releases used to be case sensitive. In those cases, it usually helped to ensure that the variable name was lowercase as well as the reference to it later on. That was the only snag I can recall that could mess with skips within a single que. Between que's is another issue but since this was within, that's my best guess.