Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Occasional feedback

Occasional feedback

I'm running a task which requires multiple repetitions of a single stimulus with only occasional responses to variations and a final decision stimulus without a time constraint. The repetitions need to appear for 250ms every 750ms (pretty quickly). Due to the high number of repetitions with the timing constraint, the most efficient way I can find to program the .csv file is to put each repeated stimuli on a single row (so, 3 or 30 stim-loc-time columns). The occasional stimuli needing a response in under 1500ms I've been tagging with a <#> style that has a max time limit of 1500! with the feedback option turned off.

My problem: I also need a set of responses with a time limit, but also includes feedback for slow or incorrect responses. Can I have max time trials with AND without feedback in the same file? I don't want feedback for everything that has a time limit or for all incorrect responses.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

- Sarah

Actual troubleshooting part (sorry I left this out of the first post):

When I do set the min-max time to 1500! (only with feedback), the trial stops when the time limit is violated. The remainder of the trial is skipped. I attached a few sample trials and the style file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sarahekd; 06-20-2007 at 04:57 PM. Reason: posting noob

To be sure I understand--when you have the feedback delay set to 0 (as you have in the attached style file), then everything works. The problem is that you actually want the feedback, but only occasionally for selected events. Yes?

Yes-sorry for the confusion. I meant to switch it back to the 1500! before I uploaded the file, but I cleary forgot to do so.

I do want the feedback for selected events, but the other problem is that when the feedback comes up, the rest of the trial is skipped despite the '!' code in the time column. I have multiple stimuli on one row, but when the feedback comes up, the rest of the row is skipped. I didn't separate the stimuli into separate rows because of timing problems.

Is that any clearer?

Let's try this. I've tried to reduce your input file to its essentials. I've also made the stimuli and time values generic. Can you try running this and see if the problem still occurs? If not, what is the smallest modification you would have to do in order to see the problem? Feel free to attach your own revision.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All I have to do for the problem to occur with these files is to include a delay for the feedback message to come up. I tried 500, 1000 and 2000ms. The feedback message comes up and goes away without pressing any keys (like it's supposed to, I think), but the rest of the row is skipped.

So, if I don't press a key within the 1500ms specified in the style file for 'stim 1b', the feedback message comes up and then goes away, but I never see the '750 ms pause' or 'end of trial'. Those stimuli are skipped. The next thing that comes up is the start of the next row.