Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Brad Bushman white-noise paradigm

Brad Bushman white-noise paradigm

[edited from support email]

I am in the initial phases of setting up an experiment using MediaLab. Our lab is familiar with MediaLab and uses it frequently. Before I get in to later phases of setting up the experiment, I have a question. I am planning on writing a program from which three participants can issue noiseblasts to each other.

My question is this: Is it possible to run this using MediaLab and have MediaLab record the data or is MediaLab not capable of doing such a task? That is, will I have to exit out to run the noiseblast program?
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-14-2007 at 05:34 AM.

There are a couple ways I could imagine doing this. One way would involve a bit of audio trickery. What I'm thinking is running the left and right speakers from each computer *seperately* to the other rooms. You could then create stereo sound files that play white noise only in the left or right sound channel (easy to do--let me know if you need help with that). You then create simple skip patterns in MediaLab (or DirectRT) that allow the subject to select which sound file to play.. voila--a blast directed to one room or the other.

We also contacted Brad Bushman and he confirmed that it's ok for other academic aggression researchers to contact him directly for information about his program (see below).

[edited from support email]
    I actually contacted Bushman, who had a programmer create something for him. Fortunately, Bushman is amenable to sharing and has sent me a link to the game. If you have any other clients who ask about this, you can direct them to Bushman.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-16-2007 at 02:56 PM.