Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Supported monitor resolutions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Supported monitor resolutions

[edited from support email]
    Hi – Can I assume that DirectRT supports widescreen resolutions, such as WXGA?

Yes, DirectRT (v2006 and later) generally supports any resolution that your monitor can use (you can set this under Options in the style file for your experiment). Note though that larger screen resolutions require more memory to pre-load the display screens. If your trials are not performing as desired (e.g., as indicated by your log data file) using a reduced resolution can sometimes help.

MediaLab widescreen 1680x1050

Does MediaLab support 1680x1050 widescreen resolution? (I notice you say DirectRT supports widescreen, but I'm not clear if MediaLab will.)

Yes, same goes for MediaLab. Note that some aspects of the display will vary depending on what resolution you run it in. It's not really an issue so long as you are using the same resolution on each of your experiment stations.

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    Yes, same goes for MediaLab. Note that some aspects of the display will vary depending on what resolution you run it in. It's not really an issue so long as you are using the same resolution on each of your experiment stations.
    If I use a subliminal stimulus (i.e., a picture flashed on the foveal visual field) on a 16:9 (widescreen) display is there any chance that that image will be stretched or distorted, as opposed to a standard 4:3 display?

That's going to be a function of your display settings. On some systems, you can have any resolution stretched to fill the screen space available. On some systems, you can have a resolution use only the pixels required. The latter option results in a display that is smaller than the screen--usually with black borders around it. Best way to know for your particular system would be to create an image of a dark circle on light background (whatever pixel dimensions you like) and display it in DirectRT. You will see fairly easily if the circle is stretched, and if any black bands are surrounding the light background of the image. Does that make sense?