Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: 60/75 Hz refresh rate bug in older Win2000/Win XP

60/75 Hz refresh rate bug in older Win2000/Win XP

When finally installing MediaLab and DirectRT on our Lab PCs, we encountered that regardless of the refresh rate we selected in Windows DirectRT detected a refresh rate of 75Hz. Luckily I remebered that some years ago when I was younger, these OSs new and I was into gaming (first-person-shooters), there was this bug: Under certain display drivers and certain (now older) Windows Versions DirectX always used 60 or 75 Hz. Even more luckily I rembered that there was a solution for this problem: You need a program like Refresh force. Its sets the refresh rate to a specific rate which is automatically detected. Works fine and solved the problem on our old Win2000 lab PCs, which now work in 100Hz. And the best: It's free and works with all graphic cards, drivers and monitors. Just download from the homepage: http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

Henrik

That's really cool to know! But I'm curious--any chance you were running the session at a resolution different from the one in which you were setting it in Windows? The reason I ask is that sometimes Windows will remember refresh rates seperately for different resolutions. If you set it to 100hz in 1024 x 768, it may still run at 60hz or 75hz in 640 x 480.

-Blair

Sorry, but no. I changed the refresh rate for the resolution in which DirectRT is running and even tested various resolutions with various refresh rates in both Windows and DirectRT, only after this I rememberd that there was something. It's an old and well known bug that shouldn't be a problem any more in recent systems with recentd rivers and an updated System. But if you have old Lab Pcs with old Windows Versions - like we do - and encounter this problem, download the above mentioned program. It sets the appropriate refresh rate for all possible resolutions.

Henrik

Thanks for the clarification Henrik!