Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: use video and create a compound screen

use video and create a compound screen

I want to use a video as a stimulus, then, after 30 seconds (the video lasts this long), have a .bmp image come up along with an instruction at the bottom of the screen and record the response time after those 30 seconds.

Alternatively, just have the video run as the stimulus and create an instruction at the bottom of the page that will show up after 30 seconds, and record the response time from that moment on.

Trying using 30000 as the Time value for the video. Then, on the same trial, make the next stim your picture with RT:x,x using whatever key codes are appropriate.

Ok, that worked.

However, I haven't been able to create a compound screen where the video is playing and the instructions would pop up at the bottom (loc .0,.9, 0) after 30 seconds.
    AKA, I want the video to play, and then have the instruction (just a text) pop up at the bottom after 30 seconds without interrupting the video. And then record the RT from when that button pops up.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by mamadator; 03-28-2007 at 12:12 PM.

I want to make sure I understand. The video is only 30 seconds long and you want the message to come up after 30 seconds.. but you don't want the message to interrupt the video.. but the video should be over by then no?

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    I want to make sure I understand. The video is only 30 seconds long and you want the message to come up after 30 seconds.. but you don't want the message to interrupt the video.. but the video should be over by then no?
    Yes, the video ends after 30 seconds, but I want the final frame of the video to stay up for however long it takes the subject to respond to the instruction. The instruction should come up right before (1 or 2 seconds) the video ends and to stay there untill the subject responds. Also, the RT I want measured is from the moment the instruction comes on screen.

Thanks

Ah. DirectRT doesn't yet have a function to pause the video on the last frame like that. A couple work-around ideas... You could capture the last frame as an image in your editing software and then present that immediately upon the video finishing. You could take that opportunity to display the text and take the RT.

Another solution would be to divide the clip in two. Present the first 28 second clip. Then pop up the text wherever you want it, using a time value of 0ms. And then show the remaining 2 second clip. The two clips should be almost, if not perfectly, seamless and you'll get the RT starting at the onset of the text.