Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Force subjects to use spacebar instead of Continue button?

Force subjects to use spacebar instead of Continue button?

Hello, I am using Medialab for the first time. I would like to turn off the Continue button during instructions so that subjects are forced to use the spacebar instead of clicking the button. Is there a way to do this? Many thanks!

No, currently the only way to disable the continue button is by using a timed item via the duration parameter. However, that would prevent subjects from continuing via the spacebar. If it's really important to your study, I think a custom item could be written if you have access to someone who knows JavaScript or VBScript. Custom items do not use the regular continue button but, rather, wait for a data posting. All you would need to do is create an HTML page that posts data when a particular key is pressed (like the spacebar). Is this making any sense?

Another possibilite is to use a black continue button. Then you would have no continue button throughout the whole experiment unless you use custom items. The area where the button originally is, is still clickable to continue, but the participants don't know this. Perhaps this works.
    I attach a whole black continue button. Just copy it into your Medialab\Graphics folder to see how it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gotta love old fashioned creativity!

Follow up question

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Another possibilite is to use a black continue button. Then you would have no continue button throughout the whole experiment unless you use custom items. The area where the button originally is, is still clickable to continue, but the participants don't know this. Perhaps this works.
    I attach a whole black continue button. Just copy it into your Medialab\Graphics folder to see how it looks like.
    Great idea! I would like to do this. Can I use the black continue button for part, but not all, of a questionnaire? If so, how? Thanks!
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-18-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Unfortunately not because the graphic is loaded at the start of the session and is not reloaded on a per-item or per questionnaire basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I'm a new user of medialab. I would love to use the whole black continue button. How can I do that? Do I have to create a new preference setting?