Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Output Question Wording

Output Question Wording

I would like to run several questionnaires through a single experiment file, but I want to be able to save the individual questions from all of the questionnaires into a single file that I can preserve with my data. Does anyone know of any way to accomplish this?

If this is not possible, then is there a way to aggregate numerous questionnaires into a single questionnaire file without having to copy and paste? Our lab has been using the copy-paste technique, but it would be nice to take human error out of the equation.

Hi Sode, I'm not sure what you mean. Data for all questions in all questionnaires are saved in both the byQuestionnaire and byVariableName data subfolders. This is typically the default so I think I must be missing something here!

I'm talking about the specific question wording and response options, not the output. When I back up my data I want to keep the data and item wording in the same place. Because I often run multiple questionnaires in a single experimental session, that means I will have to either a) copy-paste all of the questions from each questionnaire file into a single master questionnaire file, b) put multiple questionnaire files into my backup folder, or c) find some technique that allows me to aggregate all of the questionnaires automatically.

Option "a" is problematic because it introduces human error
    Option "b" is not ideal because I generally use between 3 and 8 questionnaires during a single session and when I score the data I like to make sure the questionnaire items match the items I have in my scoring key. This means I have to open up each questionnaire individually and compare items, which is tedious but right now it is the best option.
    Option "c" would allow me to collapse across questionnaires and store all of the questions in a single file that I can easily reference against my scoring key.

Ahh. OK, I don't know. *But* I can give you a lead perhaps. Because the .que (and .exp) files are actually Microsoft Access database files, you can rename them *.mdb and you can play with them just like any other Access database files. For example, you can open one and then select "Get External Data" from the File menu and add tables from other que files. They will not be automatically merged but you can copy and paste or leave them alone in one single .mdb file with a single table for each .que. Note that to do so you *may* need to "convert" the database files to the current version of Access you are working with (see "ps" comment below). That's ok, just know that ML will not work with converted .mdb's so be sure to keep back up folders of the originals in case you want to run your study again. Finally, you might Google "merging access database tables" and see if their is an easy way to automate this. If you do find such a way to do this super-easily, please let me know!!

Hope that helps,
    Blair

ps., And yes, this means you can edit que and exp files this way (rather than using the Experiment Editor). Editing the files and adding records is OK without converting to a newer Access format--the latter you only have to do if you are making changes to the database structure which you would typically never need to do.