Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Command Line Parameter not working properly

Command Line Parameter not working properly

Hello,

I'm trying to launch an eprime experiment from within medialab 2004.3.24, using the EKick software. EKick launches eprime experiments with command line switches, such as subjectid. What I would like to do is use the medialab command line parameter to launch an ekick session, using the current subjectid as input. Unfortunately, the command line parameter doesn't seem to be working, either in the experiment editor, or in single questionnaire mode. Ekick itself will launch fine, but the dos window will then close instantly. I experimented with a few parameters such as (c|more), which should at least pause for user input before closing, but that makes no difference (although it works fine from the command prompt itself). Even simple switches such as (cexperiment.ebs) don't work properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jacob

Hi Jacob,

If you click Run from the Windows Start menu, and type your command in there, does it work ok? If so, can you show me exactly what it is that you're entering in there to make it work?

Blair

Hi Blair,

Yes, the command works properly when using the windows run button.
    Here's the command that I'm using:

"C:\*programpath*\ekick.exe" experiment.ebs subject=123

This launches the eprime experiment "experiment.ebs", using 123 as the subjectid. Ideally, this subject variable would be fed forward from medialab.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Can MediaLab call on an eprime script?

Hi,
    I was trying to figure out whether MediaLab could be used to call on an eprime script and saw this posting.
    However, I did not see a resolution. Can anyone clarify whether it can be done and if so how.
    I would greatly appreciate it.
    thank you.
    Smile,

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    Hi Blair,

Yes, the command works properly when using the windows run button.
    Here's the command that I'm using:

"C:\*programpath*\ekick.exe" experiment.ebs subject=123

This launches the eprime experiment "experiment.ebs", using 123 as the subjectid. Ideally, this subject variable would be fed forward from medialab.

Thanks,
    Jacob

So just to be clear, in your questionnaire (.que) file, you are entering:
    Code:

C:\*programpath*\ekick.exe
    in the filename field for the Executable item. Then in the Parameters field, you have tried entering:
    Code:

(cexperiment.ebs subject=123)
    If so, please post or send me a copy of the que file and I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Yes, that is what I had in my Medialab experiment (and have also tried other alternatives, but with no success). Attached is a sample .exp file that produces the error. I have yet to find a good way to interface Medialab with E-Prime scripts (and have had to program batch scripts for administering multiple .ebs files as a result). The problem is also present in the latest Medialab version (2008.1.22). I thought it might have to do with the command parameter not recognizing multiple word arguments (e.g., for experiment name and subject number), but the same thing happens when only a single-word argument (e.g., cexperiment.ebs) is used.

Jacob
    Attached Files Attached Files

If I run:

C:\jacob\attention\ekick.exe |more

From the Run command on the Start menu, I get the flashing black window and then it closes immediately. But, if I first run cmd and then enter

C:\jacob\attention\ekick.exe |more

Then the more command works as it should. Is this the way it works on your system, or are you able to get the window to stay open either way?

PS., I found this PDF on executing EPrime scripts through EKick using Authorware (see attached). I thought it might be helpful. I noticed that, for whatever reason, they suggested creating and running EKick and it parameters via batch files.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-07-2008 at 06:14 PM.