Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Banned email address message when registering

Banned email address message when registering

[Edited from support email]

When I tried to register it says the administrator has banned my email address.

HotMail, Yahoo, and some other free email address domains may be rejected to protect this bulletin board from spam. Try using a gmail, educational, or commercial email address instead.

[edited from related support email]
    Why in the world would you think I am a spammer and refuse my registration for that reason?

Sorry Kim, we wouldn't think you in particular to be a spammer, but much of the spam posted on our support site does (or did) come from yahoo email addresses. That's why we banned it and encouraged people to register with their edu, com or gmail accounts.

For others who haven't seen this, it's from the registration page:
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself. HotMail and Yahoo addresses may be rejected to protect against spam. Try using a gmail, educational, or commerical email address instead.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-10-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Note that on rare occasion, a user will receive a registration feedback message of something like:

Registration denied, this forum runs an active policy of not allowing spammers.
    I think I've figured out why. There is a forumplug-in called “vbstopforumspam” that automatically checks a world widedatabase of known spammers and will send this “you are a spammer” response backif the user has a username/ip/email address etc in common with a known spammer.E.g., if "eddie345" is a known spammer user name with the wwDatabase, then registering *here* with that username will result in a blocked attempt. I’ve disabled the pluginfor now on our site and hopefully our other anti-spam methods willsuffice.