Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: RT for Sounds without termination

RT for Sounds without termination

Is it possible to collect an RT response to a sound without the response terminating the sound? I want to present a sound file that's about 6 s long and have the listener respond about halfway through. But, I don't want the response to terminate the sound.....Thanks.

Yes, you can set the time value for the sound file to 6000ms. You'll get the RT and the sound file will play for the full duration.

Thanks. I think I'm almost there. However, could you specify the syntax for the time column? I've tried "6000" "6000, RT:any", "RT:any:6000", "RT:any,6000" and many other variants. I continue to get either a full length sound and no RT measure, or an RT measure where the response terminates the sound.

Yes, you're right, those won't work, but this should--try setting the min-max value for the trial as "0-6000" in your style file. Then, for your time, try "rt:any,full"

The full keyword tells DirectRT to maintain the current stimulus for the max value even if the response occurs earlier. If you use "0-6000!" then it will also end the trial at 6000ms if they have not yet responded.

Aahh...and this brings me back to where I started. I have the min-max set to 0-6000 in Style 1, and style 1 selected in the input file. Nonetheless, the stimulus still terminates when the response is made. By the way, I also tried this with pictures and text to see if it was something peculiar to sounds. Both pics and tect stimuli also terminate with a response. Sounds like something simple I'm missing.

Oops! I got it now. I was editing the "Default Styles" file and using a different one....Thanks!

Ah, yup, that'll get ya. For the home viewers--be sure to remember that DirectRT will always check first to see if there is a style (.drt) file in the same folder as your input file. Only if there is not one there will it read the style settings from the main (default) style file in the C:\DirectRT folder.