Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Meta-cognitive measures?

Meta-cognitive measures?

[edited from support email]
    Just a little thought for you. If medialab doesn’t currently allow for this, might you consider allowing people to list thoughts in response to their thought listing (i.e., meta-thought listings)? I know media lab let’s you rate your thoughts on various dimensions, which is great, but this would essentially allow participants to be more open-ended in thinking about their thoughts.

Meta-cognition it’s all the rage…

at what point do you see that happening--after each thought or later on--feeding their thoughts back to them and having them do a thought listing on them.. e.g., earlier you said "i bet this would taste awful".. tell us your first three thoughts about that thought... ?

[edited follow-up from user]
    If I can make requests I would see having both options as being ideal. However, my initial thought was the latter. That is, list all your thoughts and then allow for thoughts about your thoughts. I was initially thinking one meta-thought per thought, but being able to list multiple would be truly great!

Have you ever used the Advanced Features, via a responses.xls file?

[edited follow-up from user]
    I think I used the advanced features once to return a score to participants or something. Are you suggesting the same thing can be done for though listings? If so, I’ll play around with it. Sometimes I forget about the amazing flexibility of medialab beyond the classic, and beloved, shell.

If I understand correctly what you want to do, yes. You can simply list the thought listing variables (e.g., thought1_01, thought2_02, etc.) in your responses.xls file. Then you can insert those at will in any subsequent question wording or response option.. and now, also in the html of any custom item you make. In any case, you just refer to that variable in <> brackets. e.g.,

Code:
    Earlier, you said <thought1_02>. Tell us what you think of that thought..
    -Blair