Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Multiple fill-in-the-blank windows

Multiple fill-in-the-blank windows

Hello,
    I need to do something that should be very simple: have more than one fill-in-the-blank windows per screen. I'd like the respondent to enter a value for each of 4 options without having to present each option on a separate screen.

I found a file (flour.zip) that you posted in response to a similar question, but I'm not sure how to use that file. Could you please provide detailed instructions? My setup so far is simple, without any html pages or visual basic.

Thanks so much,
    spring69

Hi spring69,
    below is a very simple html file that will do the trick, open it in wordpad to edit it. If you want shorter responses, change the type from "textarea" to "text". If you want smaller dimensions, just change the rows and cols value. If you want to change stuff like the font and color, it's a lot easier to do in an html editor like Dreamweaver (you can see all the stuff as you edit).

There is also a simple javascript function that makes sure at least something has been entered in each of the boxes.

To use it, it's a custom item, and chapter 9 the manual is much better explaining it than I could be. If all the html talk is confusing, go to http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp which has a really great tutorial.

Cheers, MountainManZach
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi MountainManZach,

How can I insert arrows (up or down) between the fill-in-the-blank windows using the html file. I have looked for an answer on the w3school.com page but i could not find it.

Thanks,
    Philippe

Hi Phillipe,
    Can you be a bit more specific? What exactly do you want the up and down arrow buttons to do?

Best, MountainManZach

Hi MountainManZach,

I would like to insert a (graphical) arrow between the fill-in-the-blanks windows. So the arrow buttons are not interactive or anything.

Thanks,
    Philippe

Hello again Phillipe,
    Try this file out to see if this is the sort of thing you are looking for. Notice the only difference between this a the previously posted file is an image line. You can do any image, just make certain that it is in the same folder the .htm file is; it makes specifying the path a lot simpler.

For added fun and more flexibility with the graphics, you can use the <ml.bg> variable reference so you can specify which image you want in the questionnaire file, instead of having to type in all the different images in separate .htm files (see chapter 9 for a better explanation). One caveat with that is the image must be in BOTH the same file as the questionnaire and the .htm file, if they are in different folders. If you are only using only one graphic, just ignore that bit of long-windedness.

Keep me posted if that works for you or if you need something different.

Best, MountainManZach
    Attached Files Attached Files