Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Random Shutdowns

Random Shutdowns

Hello Support,

We run Media Lab on MediaLab version 2008.1.33 and Direct RT v. 2010.2.103.1115 on our lab computers and, over the semester, have been experiencing random crashes (e.g., in the middle of a session, the screen will turn a white color and the program will not respond) at an extremely high rate (e.g., around 10% of the time for our studies!). As I’m sure you must understand, we’d love to get this issue sorted out now as the semester is coming to a close and the lab is busy.

To get the ball rolling, we attached a representative dxdiag file from one of our lab computers. Other info (may or may not be useful): These computers almost exclusively run these two programs and nothing else, are not connected to the internet, and run about seven hours a day on average.

Are there any known reasons for this problem, or some way we can trouble shoot this issue? We have begun loosing around ten percent of our subjects because of the repeated program crashes.

Thank you for your time,

Wyley Shreves
    Attached Files Attached Files

has this been resolved?

[edited by moderator]

Hi,

I'm writing to see if this issue has been resolved for you.

Sean
    Last edited by jarvis24; 07-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.

[edited by moderator]
    Hey Sean,

... If you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated. The computers are new so I don't think there are any hardware problems and despite my best efforts to duplicate I haven't been able to create a user error from my assistants, but I'm also not ready to rule it out.

Thank you so much for responding and hopefully you can shed some light on our problem!

With Appreciation,

Wyley
    Last edited by jarvis24; 07-15-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Is it during a MediaLab part of the session or during the DirectRT portion that the study freezes? Is it during the transition from ML to DRT (or upon its return from DirectRT to ML)?

computer crashes while running participants

frequently (maybe 1/6 participants), while the participants are engaged in our MediaLab paradigm, the computer crashes and reboots to the log-in screen.

We've tried closing MediaLab between participants, and that seems to help. Is it possible that it would also help to shut down the computer completely between participants?

The computers are only one year old, so it is probably not a hardware issue.

What do you recommend?

Thank you so much for your help
    John Adams, University of Alabama