Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: 401 error in a ranking task

401 error in a ranking task

Hi,

I'm having subjects rank some items in a timed ranking task. The .exp file has a (d-120) parameter. However, I've had 3 participants whose medialab file simply crashed. The error read: can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed. Additionally, no data was saved up until that moment.
    Could you tell me why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it?

Thank you,
    Anca

If the error occurs only sometimes, then I would first ask if you have any other simultaneous timers going--e.g., for the que file where it is listed in the experiment (.exp) file. Also--are you able to replicate the crash if you test run the questionnaire on its own within MediaLab? Finally, what version of MediaLab is this (i.e., v20xx.x.x)?

Hi!

I read the previous post about the double timed questionnaire embedded in the .exp file, but no, I do not have. Also, I tried replicating the crash on my own computer, then on the University computers where it had happened, but I could not.
    The version is V2008.1.13.

Anca

Any chance you could zip and attach a copy of your experiment folder?

Hi!
    I attached the experiment. The crash occurs when participants reach trial.exp, more specifically, as one told me, when she ran out of time. So far it happened only in conditions 5& 6.
    Let me know if there is something unclear.
    Thank you!

Anca
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anca--you've found a bug I believe. I was able to replicate the error under the following condition: I allowed the time to run out on the ranking item *while* one of the other message boxes was open--i.e., either "Move all the items" or the "Instructions" message boxes. Basically resulting in 2 message boxes being open at once. Subsequently, closing one caused the error. Any chance you could confirm this causes the error on your end?

Another thought--just curious--did you ever try to time the ranking item *within* a questionnaire (as opposed to it being a single item within a timed questionnaire)?

Hi Jarvis,

I also successfully replicated the crash in the lab! So thank you for finding the bug. Also, yes, I included 1 more item in all ranking questionnaires, but that did not change anything. Although I'm not sure if this is your question....because I thought I need to time the .que in the .exp file for the time clock to appear.

Regards,
    Anca