Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Have a sound go off after 3 minutes and go to the next screen?

Have a sound go off after 3 minutes and go to the next screen?

Hi there,
    After participants answer a few questions on MediaLab, I want them to be directed to look at a camera and talk for 3 minutes (recording will take place outside of MediaLab without any problems) and was wondering if there was a way to have MediaLab time the 3 minutes and play a sound afterward and then go to the next screen? I read the manual and perused the support questions about duration parameters etc but can't seem to figure out how to do something like this and would really appreciate any help at all!
    Thanks so much,
    Dina

Hi Dina--if I understand your question, you should be able to do this pretty easily. If the instructions to look at the camera are put into a MediaLab instruction item, you could simply follow that (upon clicking continue to begin) with another -timed- instruction item that says something like "Did you hear a beep? No! Please keep looking at the camera." Look at the camera". Use a duration, e.g., (d180) parameter value for that item and then the -following- item could be a sound file which simply plays a "beep" sound file. Would something like that work?

Hi Jarvis,

Thanks SO much for your speedy response and help with this! I was thinking something like that might work but the issue seems to be that I actually need a multiple response item to be on the screen for the 3 minutes before the sound goes off and automatically proceeds to the next screen (I'll give them instructions beforehand to stop talking after the beep). I tried creating a sound clip that's 3 minutes of silence and then a 1 second beep and put it in the background of the MR question, but for some reason not only does the sound beep go off but medialab seems to beep as well with a pop up alerting the participant that time is up for the question you have to click the continue button (which is still on the screen despite the duration parameter) to continue. I think that's just going to be a bit too startling and confusing for participants...would you happen to know of any way around that?
    Thanks again SO much for your help!