Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Error #6

Error #6

[edited by moderator]

We have an experiment that works everywhere except on the computers in the lab. The error message we get is: "DirectRT can not determine your display's refresh rate which is critical for accurate timing. The cause of this problem is usually an outdated or disabled video driver, or disabled hardware acceleration in your video settings. Error #6. Overflow"

We have tried to update the video driver to the latest available, but is still didn't work. We also checked the dxdiag display-tab for errors but none were given. Next we checked the video settings which seemed ok, hardware acceleration has been set to full and the screen was set to 1024x768 in 32bit mode with a 60 and once with a 75Hz rate. We also tested with 1280x1024 mode, but all resulted in the above error message.

Thanks in advance,
    Jane

Last edited by jarvis24; 04-18-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Sound like you've gone through the trouble shooting section of the guide already (www.empirisoft.com/directrt/help/directrt_troubleshooting.htm). My guess is that it's something about that Intel chipset that is being used for the graphics. Do you have access to a regular video card you could install in one of these Dell's?

Update:
    The strange thing is that on another PC the whole setup works like a charm, while it's the same identical setup (or should be at least), including the same videocard.
    I checked out your dxdiag.txt files for the different machines--very similar files! Only significant diffs I can detect are that the display memory on the non-working machines is defined as "n/a" where as it's "220mb" on the working machine. It also lists "DirectDraw Status" as "Unavailable" instead of "Available" .. I would check the properties of the video device and make sure it's active and functioning properly.

See also:
    www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?p=1285
    Last edited by jarvis24; 12-05-2006 at 05:05 PM.

[follow up from another user]

I think the problem is solved. It took a specific sequence of installing DirectX and The Nvidia software to get the 3D acceleration enabled. It seems to be somewhat common issue in windows with no one solution thats solved it but once the 3d acceleration changed status from Not Available it was just a few minor settings.

[edited from related support email, solution only]

In the end the problem was that a program that was installed on the system (Netsupport - http://www.netsupportmanager.com/index.asp), messed up the DirectX installation. As a result, DirectX was unable to read the DirectDraw/Direct3D availability and showed them as "N/A". When these two functions are in this state, running a test on DirectRT produces the following error:
    DirectRT can not determine your display's refresh rate which is critical for accurate timing. The cause of this problem is usually an outdated or disabled video driver, or disabled hardware acceleration in your video settings. Error #6. Overflow
    To resolve it, we followed two steps.
    1. Edit the following registry key:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\DCI\]
      The "Timeout" value should be set on "7". (Note: You can press the windows key + r to first open the run dialog. From here, you can type in 'regedit' to access the Windows Registry Editor.)
    2. Reboot the system and you should find that both DirectDraw and Direct3D are available again.
    This forum post has put me in the right direction:
    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/for...-233027-3.html

I am not sure when the registry entry is changed or what triggers it. The program ran for months in a row without any problems and suddenly it changed.

For the record, we are using standard Dell Optiplex GX620 with an Intel Chipset with the built-in graphic card.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 09-25-2009 at 03:42 PM.

For a replication of the registry key solution (above) see also: http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=5697

Note that this fix seems applicable to PCs in general and to Macs running Bootcamp. If you are experiencing the "refresh rate" issue in Parallels then it is more likely an issue with insufficient access to the system hardware. e.g., see: http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=16
    Last edited by jarvis24; 04-18-2011 at 08:40 PM.