Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Referencing "Last visited website" during ML experiment

Referencing "Last visited website" during ML experiment

After searching the forums I couldn't find an answer to my question, hence this post.

A colleague of mine is trying to use ML to run a study involving Facebook. His goal is to have participants log-in to their Facebook account and answer a variety of questions. Getting ML to pull up a website is easy enough but this study will require in-depth questions regarding Facebook. For instance, there will be multiple instructions such as "open Facebook", "go to YOUR profile", "Click on the Interests tab", then "count how many sports activities you have listed". Ideally we would like ML to be able to reference the LAST page the participants had open after they have answered questions regarding their account instead of having participants start back at the Facebook homepage each time.

In other words, is there anyway that ML can pull up a website based on what the participants have last done on the web or is it simply limited to copying and pasting a given hyperlink?

There is no option to do this automatically within MediaLab. I can think of ways to do it though if you could somehow access the last page visited by some other means (e.g., by means of a utility that can access browser history) or if you could find an option to have Internet Explorer open to the last page it was at when it closed. I know some browsers have this option but I just googled around for it and couldn't find it for IE.

Another option might be to have the Facebook page open as one of two frames within another separate HTML file (one that defines two frames). In the other frame could be links to pop-ups that give instructions on what to do within the Facebook frame (or in-line links, whatever). Something like that maybe?

Saw the post earlier today but appears to be gone now--did you find the kind of source code you were looking for to execute the frames approach? Would be curious to know if it works as a solution! Also just as a note for anyone else who finds this idea attractive, just try googling "html frames sample" or something like that. Should turn up tons of hits. Quick example:

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/frames/frames.html
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-01-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Actually I did find a reference I think I could use. I found it by perusing the MediaLab help topics. The site is http://www.w3schools.com/. I haven't used html before so I have started with some of the basics (e.g., writing headings and paragraphs) to get acquainted. I will definitely use the other resource you have provided me and keep you posted as to whether or not this works out.

Thanks again!

Update on Facebook in frames

So far I have used a few references to learn how to utilize frames in an html document which has been very helpful and, I think, a viable solution to my problem but I think some websites, e.g., Facebook can not be opened in a frame. Is this possible? I have tried searching google about Facebook being able to be opened in a framed website but to no avail.

Just thought I would update you on the situation.

Feel free to zip what you have and attach it here. I'd be happy to take a look at it. But no, I didn't know that some websites were immune to frames! Btw, sorry about the delay in your recent post appearing. Any posts with links end up in a moderation queue and have to be approved manually due to the likelihood of spam content. So it can take some time before you see them. Link free posts show up right away.

Hi Blair,

So I have finally reached closure on this issue. I did some research on the Facebook developer forum and apparently Facebook is not able to be presented in frames (or iframes) for "security purposes". So, with that said, I think this approach you suggested would have satisfied my needs but due to Facebook's constraints I will have to find another way. I guess this particular part of the experiment can be done via paper and pencil. I suppose these archaic methods still have their use jk.

Thanks again,
    Matt