Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Data not being recorded with v2004

Data not being recorded with v2004

Hello, I'm a bit perplexed. I have an input file that I have been running without trouble on one computer for a couple of years. I recently created an alternate version of this task by changing some of the trials, putting them in a different order, etc. It is exactly the same format as the original file just with a different order of stimuli.

The file runs perfectly well; however when I open the data folder, there is no data. There is no regular data file, no log file, and no sound files. It DOES create a folder for the ID number within the voice folder, but there are no sound files in it.

When I run this task on a different computer, it runs and records the data with no problem for both the original input file and the alternate that I recently created.

Any ideas what's going on here? I searched this problem on the forum and came across previous posts regarding block number (tried making EVERYTHING non-zero, and tried using negative block numbers - no effect) and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I'm okay short-term because I can run it on at least one computer, but was hoping to have a backup in case the other is in use.

I appreciate any ideas anyone has on this, thanks!

Any ideas?

If the *exact* same experiment folder & input file creates all the data files properly on one computer but not another, it could be a user permissions or read/write permission issue. When logged on under your usual account, are you able to delete that voice folder? Change the name of it or even delete the whole data folder altogether? If you place one of the sample input files that comes with DirectRT into the same folder with YOUR input file--do the data get saved for that sample?

Hi, thanks for your response.
    -Yes, I was able to delete the data folder.
    -Also, it's probably worth mentioning that I have the two input files in the same folder, because they run off of the same stimuli and the same style file. So, the data for the one input file are being recorded and the data from the other are not. (I tried creating an entirely separate folder for the version that wasn't working and copying the stim folder and style file to see if it would work if it had its own folder, but the same thing happened.
    -I tried putting one of the samples into the same folder as you suggested and it does run properly and record data.

OK, thanks Angela, that's very useful info. If you don't mind, let's try this: Take that copy in which ONLY the problem input file exists (along with its stim and style files/folders). Minimize the input file to say 10 trials or so--just to the point where it's really small/simple but sufficient to produce no data. Eliminate any unnecessary stimuli and make sure this self-contained simplified version still shows this problem. Then send it along to me and I'll run it here, try to replicate the problem, and also see if I can see anything that is unusual about the files or input file structure.

Hi - I've attached a zip files, please let me know if you have any trouble opening it or anything.

As you requested, I minimized the input file to ten trials and included the style file, and only the stimuli necessary to run it are in the stim folder. I ran it this way and it still shows the problem.

When you run the file, you can click the left mouse button to get past the instruction screen.

Thanks for taking a look, I hope your expert eye will notice something that I didn't!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you running the exact same version of DirectRT on the different machines?

No, on the computer we had originally been using, the one that is having the problem with one version of the experiment but not the other, we are running 2004.1.0.41 on Windows XP.

On the computer that runs and collects data from both versions of the experiment, we are running 2008.2.103.1115 on Windows 7.

Ah. Can you update the machine that has the older (v2004) version of DirectRT to v2008 or v2010 or is there a licensing issue?

We are currently only licensed on that computer for v2004, but I'm sure we can upgrade if necessary. Do you think that has something to do with the problem we are experiencing?

I would at least try it. We can give you a free code to try for a few weeks if you like--just to at least check it out. But more directly, yes, I do think this would resolve it from your description of the issue.

DirectRT - Missing Data?

The file runs perfectly well; however when I open the data folder, there is no data. There is no regular data file, no log file, and no sound files. It DOES create a folder for the ID number within the voice folder, but there are no sound files in it. - Sparkle814

I am having the same problem as Sparkle814, but in our case there no DirectRT data files for the studies in question (3 of them) on any of our lab computers. There are, however, DirectRT data files for a 4th study on all these same computers. We are hoping that the data for the 3 studies can be retrieved from somewhere. Wish we had checked sooner that the data were recorded properly. The MediaLab data for all these studies are there.

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    I would at least try it. We can give you a free code to try for a few weeks if you like--just to at least check it out. But more directly, yes, I do think this would resolve it from your description of the issue.
    So I was finally able to get a trial license code for v2008 for the computer in question and the same problem is still happening. Any other ideas? Thanks.

What can I try next?
    Also, the trial license code has run out - do I have to email sales again to re-license the older version or is there a way to revert back to that?
    *On edit - I tried deleting the newer version (2008) from the computer, so 2004 is the only version. But when I try to start the software it is still asking me for a license code for v2008.
    Thanks