Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: joystick not working. (case 11502)

joystick not working. (case 11502)

Hello,

I'm having trouble using a joystick that has worked w/ directRT in the past. it is a Logitech Attack3 joystick and if you go into the system control panel's gaming options it shows up and is calibrated just fine. When I try to use it for responses in DirectRT it doesnt seem to register, neither in the 'priming with joystick.cvs' sample file, or the file i wrote for my own experiment. Both these experiments work with key presses.

I'm running windows xp professional (version 5.1.2600) on a d620 latitude dell with an intel core 2 cpu t7200 @ 2.00ghz. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also tried it on dell dimension C521 running windows 7. the same problem exists.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jason_reed; 11-13-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Have you changed your version of DirectRT or added any additional input hardware?

I'm now using version 2010, and the last was v 2008. No new hardware.

Suggestions?

Did the problem start when you made the change from v2008 to v2010, or were you trying v2010 to see if that would fix it?

someone in my lab had used directRT with this joystick previously. i believe it was the 2010 beta version. unfortunately we no longer have access to this computer and i am trying to run a similar experiment on one of the two available pcs (info below). i'd be willing to try v2008 though i dont know that that will help. or how to get the 2008 version.

is there a way to see if the key codes for the joystick would have changed?

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    Did the problem start when you made the change from v2008 to v2010, or were you trying v2010 to see if that would fix it?

You can get a copy of any of the old versions here:

www.empirisoft.com/download_old.aspx

Send the code that comes up to service@emp.. If you are licensed for a later version, you are always welcome to use an earlier version if you choose to. I can't imagine the joystick codes have changed. If you run one of the very simple samples that comes with DirectRT (like text.csv in the bare bones sample folder) that allows for "rt:any"--does it also refuse to accept input from the stick?

rt:any doesnt recognize the joystick either. im trying the 2008 version now. will update in a few.

just got the trial code for v2008. the same problem persists--not recognizing the joystick, even with 'rt:any' and not with the codes specific to the joystick. is there any way to troubleshoot this or should i start looking into other software/do you think purchasing a new pc could fix it? i really just need to get this experiment off the ground asap.

thanks for your help.

Sorry I wasn't clearer--did you install the Vista/W7 version or the "classic" version of v2008 from the old versions page (i.e., from the link in my last post)? The newer Vista/W7 version would likely act just like v2010 as it is the same but without the newer features. The "classic" version is the one that's been out and around for a couple years now and runs pretty much trouble free on XP. The latter is the one I intended to suggest you try. Problem solving here will depend on which on you installed. Sorry again for not being clear about that before suggesting you try v2008.

Hi, I figured the windows 7 one would work the same so i ran the classic one, directRT v2008.1.13 not the revision for windows xp.

as i indicated above, it doesnt work with that version either. :-/

OK, so Windows XP running the older DirectRT v2008.1.13 and still no luck? That's very odd now because Joysticks have been used with that version for quite a while with no issues. So to get this result on multiple machines would normally make me think it has something to do with the input file but you say the problem occur rs with the samples which accompany DirectRT (I presume they are unaltered?). Any chance I could log onto the XP machine and take a look around for a possible cause? e.g., with you there to move the joystick?

Hi - we're coming across a similar issues. Recently purchased a set of Logitech Attack3 joysticks to use in our lab. The computer recognizes them and they calibrate fine - but DirectRT does not seem to recognize them. We're running this on Windows 7 using DirectRT 2010.

We've tried everything already mentioned in this thread. Is this simply a known compatibility issue with this specific joystick? Have other users of this joystick reported issues as well? Ideally we'd prefer to not purchase a different joystick if we can resolve the issues with this one.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

[edited from related support email]
    Great news: the v2012 software seems to be working quite smoothly. All of the primary issues we've faced (e.g., DirectRT not recognizing our joysticks, MediaLab not communicating with DirectRT) seem to have been fixed. However, it was only six months ago that we purchased the v2010 software, so, unfortunately, upgrading to v2012 isn't an option for us at this time. Although I understand that upgrading to v2012 seems to offer the quickest fix, we would greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer to help us fix the problems we've been having with the v2010.3 software.
    <Note from moderator>
    Users who recently purchased 2010 licenses are entitled to upgrade to version 2012 at no charge (as in the case above). If you are wondering if this applies to you, please contact service @ empirisoft.com for details.

So, is there a way to fix this issue within 2010? I am having the same exact problem with a 568 Combatstick USB joystick. We purchased 2010 a while back, but this is the first time we have ever tried using a joystick. The joystick is definitely being recognized by the computer, but both my input file and the sample input file provided by DirectRT do not respond to any of my joystick moves. I tried both the continuous and the non-continuous version of the joystick input files. Help would be appreciated.

<Note from moderator>
    Users who recently purchased 2010 licenses are entitled to upgrade to version 2012 at no charge (as in the case above). If you are wondering if this applies to you, please contact service @ empirisoft.com for details.

So is there a solution in 2010? Or is the only option to purchase 2012? We purchased 2010 a while back and this is the first time we have tried using a joystick. I am having the exact same issue that other people mentioned - my computer is recognizing the joystick, but DirecrRT will not respond to my joystick moves, either with my own input file or the sample file provided. Help would be greatly appreciated.

<Note from moderator>