Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Scale Ranking + Essay

Scale Ranking + Essay

Is there any way to include a large body of text along with a scale ranking, then allow the essay AND previous selection to remain on the screen while a second Likert scale is displayed?

Somehow I think the custom feature would let me do this, but I'm not familiar with C++, only HTML.

When you say "scale ranking", do you mean Scale Response? And when you say "essay", do you mean text that's presented (like question wording), or text that is input by the subject (like the Essay item type)?

Yes, I did mean scale response, and by essay I meant having a word document on the screen as well. Basically I'm trying to have two of the item choices on the screen at the same time.

I'll try to clarify a little bit more...

I'm trying to figure out how to have a question, preferably a word document, with formatting (like bold or italics) on the same screen as a scale response question.

I've tried inserting a file name (or file path) in the Question/File field and when I run the questionnaire it simply displays the file path instead of the file. I've also tried writing the question in HTML and then HTML is shown without any formatting when I run the questionnaire. I don't have much experience with this program, so I may be missing something pretty basic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

I think you have the right idea. Save your Word document as HTML. If you open it up in Internet Explorer and it looks good then you are almost there! Then in your scale response item, enter the name of the HTML file in the background field. Add parameters in parentheses to define where the HTML should be displayed. E.g.,
    Code:
    myworddoc.htm (l.5,t.1,w.45,h.8)
    Would have your html starting half way across the screen at the top. If you have any trouble with it let me know! Be sure to check out the section on questionnaire backgrounds in the user's guide for more detail.
    -Blair