Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Hiring a programmer for a custom item?

Hiring a programmer for a custom item?

[edited from support email]
    I would like to know if there is a way to record where a subject pauses a video that is shown to them, and then be able to show that video with the pauses to another subject...So they will be able to view the video where the first subject stopped it. I am seeking an alternative to having an experimenter have to stop the video for the subject.

I don’t know of a way to do that without writing a custom HTML/Java function to handle it. Do you have access to programmers there?

I'm sure I would have access to whatever is needed, as this is for a university experiment. Is there a specific programmer I would need?? And what would be the next step?

What you'd be looking for is a person who can do web programming using java. You can tell them you need a "couple small custom java web applications that will work in Internet Explorer"

Then you can give them details like.. "I need one to display a video in a way that allows the subject to pause it and record the pause time in a text file/cookie. I also need one that can also play the same video but this one will read the information from the text file/cookie and use that info to pause the video at that time so it replicates the viewing experience of the other user".

You can also tell them that these programs will be embedded within another bigger application (MediaLab) that can pass parameters/ids/variables and such to the java applications. You can also tell them that if the applications post any data via "method=post" then MediaLab can intercept and save that data in your data files. Let me know if you have any questions.

For an overview of custom items, refer the programmer to www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/custom_items.htm

Hope that helps!
    -Blair