Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Upgrading from v2006 to v2008

Upgrading from v2006 to v2008

I have been using v2006 for some time now. Now that v2010 is out, if I wanted to download and use v2008, would I have to pay for it and would my previous license work with v2008 or would I need a new one?

Unfortunately, older versions of the software are not available for free.

If you'd like to upgrade to v2010, or add additional v2008 licenses to your existing total, you can find pricing information in the 'store' section of www.empirisoft.com.

Also just to mention--if you do upgrade to v2010 (or any current version) you are entitled to use ANY prior version in its place. As John indicated, the thing you can't do is use a newer version (e.g., v2008) in place of an older version (v2006) without an upgrade. Consequently upgrades should usually be to the latest version (e.g., v2010) because then you can use anything you want (except v2012, v2014, etc.). Hope that made sense!

Thanks

Thanks for that info. Something I am looking into. Before I upgrade, I might want to also add MediaLab (which I have never used) to the DirectRT upgrade. The reason being that there is a particular experiment I am trying to code, which has two distinct blocks of trials and I need to randomize trials separately in the two blocks. From what I understand, DirectRT cannot do this. But, I read in another thread that if I use MediaLab, I could link and present sequentially two separate DirectRT files (each coding for the different blocks). Is this correct?

Yes, MediaLab certainly adds to DirectRT's versatility that way. Essentially opens it up to between subject designs with very little effort in addition to adding a bunch more randomization capability (e.g., imagine DirectRT's wgr and bgr functions being nested within MediaLab's same wgr and bgr functions!). And the combo also adds the capability to throw in more traditional questionnaires before, after and between the more resource demanding precision stuff that DirectRT does.

To be fair though, I'm not sure if DirectRT can or cannot do what you are describing. It certainly can independently randomize trials within blocks and also do so with the within-block randomization being independent. BUT, this could mean many things depending on what constraints you have in mind. Feel free to post a more elaborated version of your design query in the DirectRT: How to... section of the forums, and I can probably give you a better answer!

Updayte--> strike that last comment--I see you already have: http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=5333. I'll take a look at it now.