Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Visual Analog Scale (VAS)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Visual Analog Scale (VAS)

[edited from support email]

I have been using the MediaLab software for the last few days. I must say it is very good software. However, I have not been able to figure out if it can serve our purpose.

We have a paper-and-pencil data collection form that we are trying to convert to an electronic format. This form includes a pain intensity visual analog scale (VAS). In the paper form the person marks a 10 centimeter(cm) line to indicate the level of pain. In the electronic form, we are that the person can touch a 10cm line displayed on a computer touch-screen. I am attaching a word document that includes the paper version of the VAS. Do you think it can be converted into an electronic form?

[Related post edited from support email]

I am trying to recreate a visual analogue scale in medialab. On paper, it would be a line that looks like this:
    Code:
    I---------------------------------I
    0      2      4      6      8    10
    And we ask the participant to make a mark somewhere on the line after tasting a food. We measure where the mark is on the line and this allows us to get an EXACT rating of how much they liked the food and how much it increases/decreases during subsequent trials. Is there any way that MediaLab can do something like this, where the subject sees the line, clicks somewhere on the line, and MediaLab records where exactly on the line the subject clicked? If not, is there anything close to this that MediaLab can do? Thank you,
    See the slider sample here:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=1315

It is a java based slider which can be moved back and forth with a mouse, so a touch screen should work with it just fine. The java source code is included so you could have a programmer adjust it to produce a 10cm scale on screen (i.e., depending on your screen resolution, screen size and such). If it works out, let me know, I'd like to see it in action!

Hope that helps,
    Blair
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-18-2008 at 05:42 PM.