We are using Medialab for a research study and had several issues with Medialab crashes. To resolve the problems we installed XP onto all our study machines, only ran one subject at a time and transferred the data immediately to avoid losing data.

In all of these previous crashes, Medialab froze and it was necessary to close Medialab through Task Manager. In most of these cases, the data was still saved up until a certain point.

We have been using 6 laptops with Medialab on them for the past 6 months or so with no issues. However, in the last month we have had two crashes in Medialab which has disrupted the whole interview and meant that subjects have had to redo parts of the interview.

In these crashes, Medialab has crashed in a different spot and has frozen on a grey background screen. When I run Task Manager, it says Medialab is running but I can't get it to respond to any commands. I then have to close Medialab through Task Manager. In doing this, any text responses are saved but no 'number' data is written to spss or text files. Subjects are having to redo these sections which is incredibly frustrating.

Please please please can you tell us what might be causing this. Things have been going so smoothly that it is incredibly frustrating that this is happening now. We have invested a lot of time, money and effort into ensuring Medialab doesn't crash and it all feels like a waste.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you have suggestions.