Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Recording Non-Key Press Response in Data File

Recording Non-Key Press Response in Data File

In a study being created by a graduate student I'm helping, he has children taking a reaction time test that asks them to hit a specific key when they see one image and no key at all when they see another. There is a 2000ms time limit for each task. This works fine until we look at the data and see that for the questions, either correctly or incorrectly answered by hitting no keys, don't have recorded data values. Obviously by process of elimination we can tell which items got a key press reaction, they have recorded key number/time values and the non-key press response have no record at all. This is horrible in terms of data collection. We would have to manually put in records for all of the non-response answers. Is there a way to for DirectRT to record a default no key response value like -1 or NULL?

Can you post sample input and output files?

Problem Solved

Blair,

I just went back to the experiment today and figured out that I wasn't entering a value of -1 for the blocks. That's why it wasn't writing data with a response value of 0 or a reaction time value of 2000 (maximum ms time frame setting in default styles). I'm now getting a data record for reaction time items where there a no key press is the correct response. If only there was more easyto-use wizarding and forms for DRT like there is for ML. These input files values could be automatically selected for users after choosing from a list of desired setting for reaction time items.

Mario ;-P