Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: ESC button

ESC button

I have 2 problems with our experiment on DirectRT:

1) When participants accidently hit the ESC button it actually works even though I set the parameters so only 1, 2, and 3 should be accepted as responses. None of the other keys work, but the ESC button. How do I get this to "turn off?"

2) On 2 occassions a participant was completing a task in DirectRT and a check mark appeared in the middle of a blank screen after their response. We cannot figure out what triggered this, but the system locks up when it happens. This task involves imported photos and a scaled response followed by a separate free response question. The check mark appeared between the scaled response and the free response. We are running DirectRT through MediaLab. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Beth Hentges

No way to disable Esc--it's the only way out. Does the checkmark stay on the screen when it locks up? If so, can you send me a digital picture of it so I can see what it looks like?

I can't send a digital picture because I have never been able to reproduce it. It has spontaneously occured twice. It is a very small box with a check mark dead center on the screen.

Beth Hentges

Are you running many others studies without this happening? It would be very helpful to know that this is isolated to a single experiment and that many others are ok on the same machine. In any case, I'd like to see a copy of the entire experiment if possible--including your MediaLab files.

I am having the exact same checkmark problem. Was this ever resolved?

No it wasn't. It came up in a handful of labs and in each case, it seemed to mysteriously start happening without any changes to the system. In some cases, the effect stopped as mysetriously as it started. We have a special version of DirectRT v2008 that has been redesigned for Vista (it also works on XP). It's currently in testing and it does not seem to do this--probably because it uses the very latest in DirectX and .NET technology. Let us know if you would like to be a beta tester.