Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Random boxes appearing in question items

Random boxes appearing in question items

Hello,
    I am currently running two experiments one with videos and one without. While running both experiments boxes randomly appear after the question item. There is no pattern to which questions the boxes appear nor when the boxes appear. The video study has six conditions and the boxes have appeared at least once on every condition. In the other study the boxes appear randomly as well; they appear 4 or 5 out of every 10 runs. The boxes do not obstruct the view of the questions though participants have noticed and asked about them. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Not sure--I haven't heard of this issue before. What version of MediaLab are you using? Also, can you elaborate on the appearance of the boxes and/or attach a screen shot of one?

Hello,

I am using version 1.33. The boxes or squares are appearing at the end of the question. Anywhere from one to four boxes randomly appear after questions.

ex.
    1. How old are you? □
    2. Do you like ice cream? □□

Thanks!

Attached is a screen shot. Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like there may be some unusual character(s) in the text of your questionnaire (.que) file. Could you possibly attach it and I'll take a look. You could also try it yourself by taking a close look at the wording for the item in the screenshot you attached. Go to that item in you que and click Details for that item. See if there are any hidden characters at the end of the text. If so erase them and save the file. If not, select all the text, delete it, and try re-entering it. But again, also feel free just to attach it and I'll take a look at it, no problem.

We have tried re-entering the text on the questionnaires. The boxes are still showing up. Attached is the que file from the screen shot I sent you. Thanks

Hello again,

I am having another issue with the program. MediaLab is crashing (blank screen) if we run multiple participants without closing the program in between. I am using Windows XP and version 2008 1.33. I have seen threads about Vista and Windows 7 but not much about XP. I have not had this issue in the past, I just installed/downloaded the program last week onto newer computers. Thanks

Please try this revised version of your que and see if you have the same issue. With regard to the crash, is it with the same que file?

Updated on crashes

The crash is happening with the same two experiments. If I run multiple people it gives me a blank screen towards the end of the survey and the responses are not recorded. Just tried it with someone else's study and after running it twice on the third time, a box stating that MediaLab was out of memory appeared and the whole program shut down.

Also, I tried running MediaLab with the sample file used in the thread http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=1013

and it crashed after running the file twice without closing MediaLab in between runs. It crashed (blank screen) on q78 on the second run.
    Last edited by hoodkb; 10-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.

I think we may have this memory leak issue resolved in v2010 (just released Jan 28, 2011). It has not been posted on the website yet but you can email sales@emp.. if you would like to try a copy. It should be posted as an official release sometime this week.

See, e.g.,

http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=5500
    http://www.empirisoft.com/support/sh...ad.php?p=15284

Note that v2010 also addresses a variety of issues associated with video files--including a bug in which backvideos could cause problems on some systems if the item ended before their completion.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-01-2011 at 04:33 PM.

more random boxes

Hi There,

I am also dealing with random boxes appearing in questionnaire files...could you describe how to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help.