Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: When running questionnaire files, experiment files are created

When running questionnaire files, experiment files are created

We're testing the medialab files we wrote for a new study and found that when we run a questionnaire file, an experiment file with the same name is created. This clutters the file folder quite a bit. I can't recall that we had this problem before. I ran the files on different machines but the same thing happened. Any idea what this might be? And more importantly, how we can fix it?

Thanks!

This is intentional, but I agree something ought to be done. MediaLab requires an experiment (EXP) file, even when running a single questionnaire (QUE) file. So if you run a single questionnaire on its own, ML simply creates an EXP file for you that contains the single QUE file. However, I agree that aesthetics of the folder content were not given much consideration when we added this feature. I think it would have been appropriate to delete the EXP file after the session, treating it as a temporary file. Will add to the list of improvements for the next version.

Addendum: 2010 Feature List -- additional thoughts

Added to the task list -- we should be able to accommodate this request in the 2010 version. Blair; should we keep a toggle(able) option to enable or disable the feature?

What are your thoughts mcyzer? I think the creation of the .exp file can be a helpful way to suggest that the experiment file is used in managing your study; however, it's intrusiveness in staying in the folder, could be unexpected / undesired.

Trevor
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 10-20-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: subject line clarification

My personal preference is to have a single exp file in the folder. Because I tend to use many que files it simply is easier to find what I need. The exp files created for each que file aren't harmful in any way, but they aren't useful either -- for the experimenter, that is. I therefore would welcome a feature that deletes an exp file if it was created because a single que file was used. Thanks!

Marco