Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Displaying the Countdown Timer

Displaying the Countdown Timer

I read the previous thread on this topic but I'm still having a problem. I have a questionnaire set up to display an HTML page, which is the only item in the questionnaire. I entered (d-60) -- with the quotes -- as the parameter for the questionnaire I want to display for 60 seconds. I'm not getting the countdown timer. A screen shot of how I entered the parameter is attached. Can someone provide some assistance?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great question because I don't think it's clearly enough emphasized in the manual that the d (duration) parameter needs to go in the experiment (.exp) file rather than in the questionnaire (.que) file. Basically you can do a countdown for a que but currently not for a single item within it.

So..! here is what you can try and hopefully it will work for you..

I know some people don't use .exp files to organize their experiments--are you familiar with them? If so, try adding (d-60) as a parameter where you list this particular questionnaire in the .exp file. If you have only one item in the questionnaire, it's functionally equivalent to adding a countdown timer to a single item. The other benefit though is that you have the option to include a timer that spans multiple items within a single questionnaire (e.g., such as a time limited recall test and such). Hope that helps and let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Blair

Displaying The Countdown Timer

Blair,

Thanks for the response. I think I understood your suggestion. As you can see from the attachment, I placed a questionnaire inside an .exp file named "test" and added a parameter of (d-60). Unless I'm missing something, I'm still not getting the countdown timer.

Can you possibly post a screen shot showing what the countdown timer looks like?

Also, I am using a .exp file for the actual experiment. There are several items in the file. Will I be able to use a countdown timer for a single item in the file? I don't want to time the actual questionnaires, but one of the items is an HTML file where the participant will perform some searches. That's the item I want to time.

Avram Baskin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you attach the actual que and exp files? Happy to take a look.

Displaying the Countdown Timer

The files are attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files