Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Collecting reaction time data for custom item

Collecting reaction time data for custom item

Hi. I have a custom anagram task with 30 items and a time limit of 10 minutes. Participants cannot move on to the next task until the 10 minutes are up.

However, I've been having difficulty on trying to collect reaction time data for each individual item/blank. All that I've succeeded in doing in getting a reaction time of 10 minutes for all the items, instead of the time taken for each individual item.

Has anyone tried doing a task like this before or have a workaround?

Here's the que. file for the task, with the time limit set at 15secs.

Didn't see the attachment here. Maybe zip the files as a single folder? Anyways, are you presenting the 30 anagrams within a single custom item, or are you presenting them one at a time by using the same custom item 30 times?

here's the attachment

Hi Jarvis, the attachment must have slipped my mind. I'm presenting 30 anagrams within a single custom items.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I see. This is definitely an html/javascript issue. I'm not an expert in this area and I don't know off hand how to record the time at which an input field is entered or exited. I'm sure information on how to do that exists and could be Googled.

Another option to consider would be to use the WebTracker item type. You could create a starting HTML page with links to each acronym and have one HTML page for each. A subject clicks on "CTA" and goes to that acronym page. The webtracker item will record every acronym link the subject follows, how long they stay there, and where they go from there. Using form data you could also submit their answer to each acronym in the URL of the subsequent link.

Yet another much simpler approach would be to give them the anagrams one at a time, in which case it would be quite easy to simply record the RT of each item. But if you need all at once, then of course, you need all at once.